Sign in to follow this  

Selling a bike to someone from California

Hi guys i need a quick answer. I sold(ebay) a 03 kawasaki vulcan 800 with 5100 miles to a guy from california. I am in oregon, he just called and said that the bike needs to have a sticker on it for california, 50 state legal or something. I looked over the bike and it says nothing beside the usual federal standards. Looked on the california dmv site and read about the 7500 mile rule. He planned on coming up tommorow, thanks in advance, Daniel

Ok i did a search online, the bike has to have less than 7500 miles or have the california sticker to be exempt. I wish the guy would have done his research before buying it, ohh well i will relist it, thanks anyway.

This from the California DMV web site:

California law prohibits importing and/or registering a new vehicle with less than 7,500 miles at the time of purchase unless it meets or is exempt from California Emission standards. If you acquire a 49-State vehicle (manufactured for all states except California) from another state or country, you may not be able to register your vehicle in this state.

Now, that sounds to me that if the vehicle has LESS than 7,500 miles then it NEEDS a sticker saying it meets or is exempt from emissions standards. The reciprocal of that is if the the vehicle has MORE than 7,500 miles then it DOESN'T need a sticker...

From the same DMV site;

The following is required to register a nonresident vehicle:

1. An Application for Title or Registration (REG 343) signed by all registered owners, showing the name and address of the lienholder (legal owner), if any.

2. Last issued out-of-state title, unless held by the lienholder/legal owner (This applies only if there is not a change of registered owner.)

3. Last issued registration certificate, if the applicant is the same as the registered owner shown on the out-of-state title and the vehicle entered California with valid out-of-state registration, or if the title has been lost.

4. Bill of Sale if the person from whom you are buying the vehicle purchased it from the registered owner shown on the title.

5. Odometer disclosure statement signed by the seller and buyer if the vehicle is less than ten model years old.

6. The vehicle must be inspected by an authorized DMV employee, law enforcement officer, or a licensed vehicle verifier. These inspections are most easily obtained by bringing the vehicle to the nearest DMV, where there is no extra fee charged for the inspection. For faster service, make an appointment.

7. Smog certification, if applicable

8. Weight certificate, if applicable

9. Declaration of Gross Vehicle Weight/Combined Gross Vehicle Weight (REG 4008) form for commercial motor vehicles (pickups with unladen weight of 8,000 lbs. or less are exempt from this requirement)

10. Appropriate Fees

Also, read this site;

http://www.dmv.ca.gov/pubs/brochures/fast_facts/ffvr29.htm

Sure sounds like you have a buyer. The law is to affect NEW purchases from out of state. With more than 7,500 miles, I'd say you have a buyer dispite what he says or how he misinterprets the DMV laws.

You missed the part where NWcrf450rider said that the bike only has 5100 miles though. :)

Tell him to go down to a motorcycle junk yard and buy a speedometer with more than 7500 miles on it. Mount the speedo, get it all signed off by DMV, then put back on the stock speedo. End of problem.

Tell him to go down to a motorcycle junk yard and buy a speedometer with more than 7500 miles on it. Mount the speedo, get it all signed off by DMV, then put back on the stock speedo. End of problem.

......... or you could just say the odo doesn't work and sign the odometer disclosure statement saying it has 8,764 miles on it. Of course that would have to be a true and honest statement. :)

:)

this is a $40-$50 problem at most.

Huge problem if you re-sell the bike and don't report the correct mileage.

It gives the next owner a way to come back at you.

Usually, the stickers are under the seat, sometimes on the frame rails.

Check to make sure you don't have a CA bike.

thanks for all the replies. The guy came and got the bike!! It was a real nice bike and he had been looking for one for a long time so he was willing to go through the hassle. I sugggested removing the speedo from the rear wheel and running up the miles with a dill of some sort or like someone else stated buying a used speedo. He was a nice guy and held up his end of the deal. I sold a real nice 67 dart a few years ago through ebay to a man in california and some weeks later i recieved a letter from the sherriffs office. I cant remember what it said but i had to give them a call. BTW the bike didnt say 49 or 50 state legal on it it just said federal epa standards for 2003.

I recall just marking on the DMV paper work that the speedo was not correct and they didn't care what the odometer read....