Sign in to follow this  

D606 Front that bad???

I've got a new front D606 laying around and thinking about putting on my L, but I never hear anything good about it. Is it really that bad? If it is I'll just put it on the Sherpa when the time comes. I've heard bad stuff about Kenda Trkmster II on the front too, but I don't think they are that bad. If the 606 is on par with the TM then I'd use it. If not I'll probably go with the MT21 front, which I like the best. I guess I could try it and if see what I think and put it on the sherpa if I don't like it, but thought maybe someone on here could save me the guesswork.:)

I don't know where you heard that but my D606 front (and rear) are excellent on and off road. I can lean pretty good in the twistys and they work decent in soft stuff off road. I have never had the front even think about feeling like it is going to wash on me, and yes I have had some sportbikes and ridden them hard. I never would dream of pushing this bike that hard but for what they are, they are nice. I really have zero complaints. I get decent hookup offroad but I have never had them in mud so I can't say but the front does track well in sandy desert stuff and hardpack.

I think it may be "that bad" ... but compared to what?

I have few problems with the rear, but the front pushes, off road and on... go ahead and use it, then consider an MT18 or something...

Compares to the MT21 Front, which I think works really well On and Off, with pressure adjusted accordingly.

I've been using a D606 on the front (and rear) for years and never had any problems with it. :)

If you do a lot of street riding, you will get some cupping. But that would probably happen with any tire designed for off road use primarily. :D

I've been using a D606 on the front (and rear) for years and never had any problems with it. :)

If you do a lot of street riding, you will get some cupping. But that would probably happen with any tire designed for off road use primarily. :D

+1 have about 2500 miles on mine and on new rear and have no problems, alot of street and even mountain riding and pretty hard too, there noise but not too bad

I didn't like the D606 on the front. It was wobbly at high speeds on the road, a little noisy, and it wore badly. After less than 2K miles, every other knob was worn down to nothing. The remaining knobs were cupped severely. And yes, I did have it balanced and rechecked.

Off-road, it was okay. Not terrible and not great. I won't run another D606 on the front.:)

I have D606's on my plated XR600R, and am very happy with them. I just took it up to WestFest in Lake City last weekend - they held up really well to the sharp scree going over Engineer's, Ophir, Imogene, and Cinnamon passes.

That stuff is tough on tires.

I also like the tough sidewall, I can run 22-23 psi F&R (they work better at higher pressures, I'd tried 18 psi and didn't like it) which suits road and offroad without airing up or down....At that pressure they stay planted in corners at speed, and impart a lot of confidence that they'll keep sticking.

I don't worry about pinch flats either.

I rode 140 miles of dirt getting there after hauling to Salida, then did 130 miles of pavement getting back. They're great on the road.

I have a '95 XR600 and I run Dunlop 606's front and back....

I run 16lbs in them (14lbs if it's going to be a Rocky day) and they work fine

Uhmn, I did have the shop balance both front and rear wheels as I dislike the shaking/vibration on the highway.

I'm sure it helps with cupping or any premature wear - very smooth now - even past 80mph.

Good all around tire for what I ride on

:)

One more Plus for the the 606 nosiey but over all a real Dual sport tire , like running mudders on your truck

D606 is not a bad tire. I tried it, but don't like the front. Kenda K777F enduro for the front and D606 rear is a good mix.:)