Sign in to follow this  

Ford ranger 4x4 gas mileage

I have a 2002 Ford ranger, 4x4 (Fx4 package), supercab, 5spd, 31" tires from the factory, I dont remember the gears off the top of my head, It has cold air intake, jet chip, and cat back exhaust. Im getting 230 miles to a tank, I think 16 gal tank, so thats 14 mpg. Thats city and highway. Is that right? I though little truck would get more, I think the cat is clogged, Would this cause bad gas milage? What are you ranger guys getting?

I have a 97 Ranger 4x4 with the 4.0 V6, 5spd stick, 3.73 gears and 31" tires, 130,000 miles on it. I get 17-18mpg at best on the freeway, It can get better than that on slow 2 lane highways (55mph or so). However if I have my foot in it all the time my mileage drops significantly.

First thing check your air filter and tire pressure, those are the most common culprits for bad MPG. How many miles are on it? If it is getting near 100,000 change the O2 sensors, my engine ran much better and used less gas when I did that. Beyond that make sure you're wheel bearings are not loose/going bad.

If you have an FX4 you have 4.10 gears, you probably have a 19.5 gallon tank, but the gauge will read empty at 17-18 gallons on my truck.

Unfortunately You're never going to get spectacular mileage with a 4x4 ranger, even if it's running perfect.

2wd on the other hand gets great mileage (my new Ranger 2wd got 27mpg on the last tank).

01 Ranger supercab 4x4 offroad package. 4.0l Auto w/ 4:10 gears and stock tire size. I get around 18mpg on the highway not pulling anything. Maybe 16 around town. And towing the trailer on the highway probably around 15mpg.

About 230 miles is all I get in the summer per tank. Milage drops probably 50 miles per tank in the winter.

Not to divert the thread, but.........

Consumer Reports and others have stated that a dirty air filter will not degrade mileage. Basically the oxygen sensor/computer adjust the fuel input lower keeping things balanced. I would expect a power loss though, right?

I dont think this was intended as a reason to not do air filter maintenance however.

BB

86.5 k miles, If i decide that headers and hi-flow cat are the way to go ill replace the o2's. The filter is clean and the tires are 30 PSI all the way around. Are you sure on the 19.5 gallons? It will only take 15 gallons on the redline. I think I might try new plugs, wires, and a cat test pipe to see if it is the cat. Then go and buy a magnaflow cat. Also towing 1500+ LBS. I get 9 MPG. with no power. lol.

86.5 k miles, If i decide that headers and hi-flow cat are the way to go ill replace the o2's. The filter is clean and the tires are 30 PSI all the way around. Are you sure on the 19.5 gallons? It will only take 15 gallons on the redline. I think I might try new plugs, wires, and a cat test pipe to see if it is the cat. Then go and buy a magnaflow cat. Also towing 1500+ LBS. I get 9 MPG. with no power. lol.

Before throwing money at parts, have a qualified technician do some diagnostic work and see if there are any trouble codes present, and trace them down to the culprit.

chances are if your cat is clogged then it would run like shit. Check for codes and do a tuneup, you should be getting more than 14mpg. My buddys ram with a hemi gets 14....

I have a 2002 Ford ranger, 4x4 (Fx4 package), supercab, 5spd, 31" tires from the factory, I dont remember the gears off the top of my head, It has cold air intake, jet chip, and cat back exhaust. Im getting 230 miles to a tank, I think 16 gal tank, so thats 14 mpg. Thats city and highway. Is that right? I though little truck would get more, I think the cat is clogged, Would this cause bad gas milage? What are you ranger guys getting?

First off you have some mods, down goes the mileage. Secondly, you assume you are putting 16 gallons in. How many gallons gets you how many miles? For 5 fillups (starting at the next full tank) record your mileage and the amount of gas used. This will give you a good average mileage. I have an 02 4 liter with an auto and when I was young an drove like a prick I got 15, now I get around 20 on the highway driving a little saner. Coast as much as possible up hills, accelerate slowly down hills. You have 4.10 gears by the way.

4 liter rangers are notorious for TERRIBLE mileage. Ford is notorious for being terrible at calibration. If this was a GM vehicle it would get 25mpg easily.

By the way, how many miles and has the timing chain cassette and tensioner update been done? If not you may be in for a world of hurt at 100k when they crap out and your engine takes a dumper permanently.

86.5k miles, hope you are not on original plugs. If you are, be ready for a world of hurt changing these. The OEM plugs are a tad too long. Carbon builds up on the exposed threads. When you pull them they go half a turn then stop. If you keep going you yank the threads out of the head (aluminum head), if you stop, no plug changey. I am working on figuring out a way to fix this as we speak since I am changing the plugs on my ranger.

I don't think they make a "header" for this engine, and all you are going to do by increasing power is decrease mileage unless you get a really creative calibrator to burn you a custom chip.

I got 15mpg towing a large enclosed trailer 800 miles with mine. Slow down, drive calm. I got 10mpg towing 4k lbs of car and trailer with mine.

15-16mpg in truly combined driving is really not that bad for a ranger, it is rated 14/17 from the factory. With good driving habits you should be able to get around 300 miles before the light comes on. Before I had good driving habits I got 230 on the highway and around 150 city only driving. These rangers suck for mileage.

I don't think they make a "header" for this engine, and all you are going to do by increasing power is decrease mileage unless you get a really creative calibrator to burn you a custom chip.

JBA and Pacesetter make headers for the 4.0, and he'd stand to get better fuel economy with them, because of the better flow. The computer would adjust for that, no fancy re-flash needed.

If you want the easiest, and cheapest way to get better fuel economy, read this, and start using at least a couple of tips http://ecomodder.com/forum/EM-hypermiling-driving-tips-ecodriving.php

I was able to go from 17mpg (if I was lucky) to 18.29 without any crazy driving habits, just doing the speed limit and coasting down hills. In this

yotacanopy.jpg

My friend has an '03 FX4 Ranger 4x4, 4.0, auto, with the cab and a half, and she gets around 18 mpg. I have a '96 GMC Somona, 4x4, 4.3l auto, cab and a half, and get about 20. Best I've gotten was 26.4, strictly highway from gas station to gas station, wanted to fill it up. I'm not sure what the best she's gotten though.

Consumer Reports and others have stated that a dirty air filter will not degrade mileage. Basically the oxygen sensor/computer adjust the fuel input lower keeping things balanced. I would expect a power loss though, right?

I dont think this was intended as a reason to not do air filter maintenance however.

BB

It would result in a loss of power hence requiring more accelleration as a result using more gas...The way I figure anyways! :)

my 97 ranger 4x4 extended cab sucked! mileage sucked! Auto transmission sucked! I bought a Subaru outback and have enjoyed the piss out of two since then. I was not impressed by that truck at all! Sell it and run Forrest, Run!

Consumer Reports and others have stated that a dirty air filter will not degrade mileage.

BB

Yes, Consumer reports is the authority on internal combustion engines 👍:worthy:

my 97 ranger 4x4 extended cab sucked! mileage sucked! Auto transmission sucked! I bought a Subaru outback and have enjoyed the piss out of two since then. I was not impressed by that truck at all! Sell it and run Forrest, Run!

You're right about the auto trans (I've never seen a ranger that had one), mileage was fine before gas hit 4 bucks/gallon. I like my 97 that's why I kept it for winter, and 4x4 antics.

Yes, Consumer reports is the authority on internal combustion engines 👍:worthy:

CU says they ran road tests with vehicles, not an off-the-wall remark - concerning restricted air filters not reducing vehicle mileage.

BB

One thing you are forgetting is youre actually traveling farther than your odometer reads. the circumfrence on the tires are different and the 31s are obviously bigger. The stock tire size is 22 inches. 3.14*22=69.08 in. circumfrence, the 31 in tires are 97.34 in. in circumfrence. So youre traveling about 35-40% farther than your odometer reads.

BB

Yes thats true, you will notice it, and many peole will put their foot into it more to compensate for that and thus lowering their mileage.

The newer rangers do much better. I had a 1990 w/4.0 V6 that never got better than 13mpg.