Sign in to follow this  

seized swing arm bolt

:D Trying to get a motor out of an 07 rmz 450. The swing arm bolt is stuck big time. I know I should have lubed that and the other fittings/bearing s when it was new.It's my son's bike and the con rod went through the front cases.It had a ton of hours and has been great. We left it too long waiting for an EFI model. Any suggestions or similar experiences that can solve this problem?:)

im sure youve done this but you could try some penetrant,like theres this stuff i use called Zep super penetrant,it works nice on rusted bolts,not sure about the swingarm though,i think its worth a try.

I hate to tell you this but I had this happen on a 96 rm 250 and after every possible soluition it never came out , including drilling it with cobalt drill bits,I

used all types of oils , lubes ,punches, hammers,heat and anything else i could come up with.I learned my lesson on that one and I make sure I lube those parts on a regular basis now.I sold the bike for parts.

Have you loosened up all of the other motor mount bolts? If you have, get a heavier hammer and a punch & drive it through!

Thanks for the advice and help guys.We'll get it off one way or another.

the problem with the hammer is if the bearings are really destroyed you are going to mushroom the end of the bolt because there is nowhere for it to go .it is a killer problem

A very large wrench. Or you could take it to a tire center or somewhere that has one of those air powered lug removing wrench/gun deals (the name is skipping my mind:banghead: )

i have an 05 yz125 had the same problem.. i used a hydraulic press to press it out... see if that works

Last time my swing arm bolt was stuck I dissembled the entire bike and put it in a 10 ton press. That finally got it out. I tried banging on it and all the tricks for about a week. 10 ton press. 20 minutes. If you need some more info let me know. Now I pull and grease my swing arm every 30 hours.