Sign in to follow this  

DR650 wheel options

I recently had a catastrophic failure of the rear bearing in the sprocket hub assy. on my 99 DR650. When I say catrostrophic I do mean catasrtophic. Everything was frigged, the swingarm, chain, sprocket, sprocket hub to swingarm spacer, sprocket hub, wheel hub and prolly the axle too but I haven't looked that far into it.

I'm looking for a complete used rear wheel assy. and I'm finding out that people really love the wheels on these things. Heck, I paid less for a complete set of R1 wheels with good slicks, rotors, spacers and sprockets for less than what some are asking for a set of old wheels only.

So,,,, I would like to open my options up for a possible rear wheel assy. donor. Would a DR350 18 inch wheel assy. work for my bike? If so, do they have cush drives? I ask because I do most of the miles on my bike on the dirt and I've heard that solid mount sprockets and alot of street miles don't add up to great reliability.

BTW,,,, anyone have a rear wheel assy. for a 96 up DR650 for sale????:)

dr350 90-up will work. they have a cush and a non cush. if most of your riding is dirt the non cush would be fine. you can also use the dr350 disc if you use the 350 caliper mount, its just a lettle smaller in dia. 1/4". you have to get the spacers for each wheel as they are different (cush and non cush)

Thanks for the info.

Will the non-cush-drive set-up be unreliable on the street {heard it will tear up trannys} or is it just a comfort thing?

i have both but can't comment on being unreliable. the drz400s an sm don't have cush hubs do they? somebody chime in if you know.

How about the front??? Any other models bolt up?

don't know for sure but the rmx250 95-96(didn't ck all years) have the same axle and speedo (part# are the same) you would need the rmx wheel spacer i would think. also you would have to mod the caliper mount for the dr bigger disc. you could probably make it work. buy a used dr 650 wheel or build one with a new hub.