Sign in to follow this  

New Bike Preparation

Fella's,

New 300 sat on my drive and yet to be ridden!

But what about new bike prep.

What would you recommend needs to be greased?

Or loctited?

Or any other useful stuff.

My first KTM and want to start out right.

From what i hear the ktms come pretty well greased from the factory....unlike japanese bikes. not sure though. my first ktm was used. the 2007 yz250f i bought a few years ago was bone dry from the factory. as far as loctite goes the only area i have had problems with is the bar mounts. they will vibrate loose really easily. they may come with loctite from the factory

Locktite the kickstarter bolt.

If you don't have a proper torque wrench one larger and one smaller get one.

When properly torqued and locktited per the instructions (not all bolts get locktite) things won't come loose.

I've had many and still have a few KTMS and never had a bolt come loose when following tightening instructions.

I have heard of folks loosing the kickstarter lever but never actually saw this.

The kicker bolt is thread locked now also, the only thing I've found loose on the last few I've had were the steering stops.

Also make sure the filter is oiled.

kick bolt, shift bolt both need loctite. Rear axle adjsuter bolts need to be removed and put antiseize on them, if you want to spend the time the steering head bearings greased too. Check spokes sfter riding, dont overtighten them tho.

As for bolt being loose. Just make a habbit of checking the entire bike over after each ride. I am on my 3rd KTM and have never lost any part off of them.

From what i hear the ktms come pretty well greased from the factory....unlike japanese bikes. not sure though. my first ktm was used. the 2007 yz250f i bought a few years ago was bone dry from the factory. as far as loctite goes the only area i have had problems with is the bar mounts. they will vibrate loose really easily. they may come with loctite from the factory

Bar mounts coming loose!

That's pretty scary - I'll be sure to loctite them.