Sign in to follow this  

a little help with setings

hey people i have had a 2000 xr 400 for about a yr now it sat for about 9 months untill i was able to do a rebuilt on it. just seen if i can get some input on a suspension settings.

first i,m 5'9 210 lbs. (all muscle:crazy: )

i, donmt know what the settins are now but i can tell you the front feels pretty good in the front but in the rear it starts to kick back aroung 3rd gear in the whoops.

i live in florida and ride @ croom motorcycle park most of the time (when i have time :) ) the terrain is soft sand some hard pack trails real whoop up, and i like to hit some small jumps nothing big just enoughto make me feel like i,m doing something. so if any one out there can help me with some # on the settings. thanks

Randy

It's not as simple as just giving you some numbers.

Have you set rear sag for your weight? The stock spring is a hair light for your 210 lbs. If you're going to try to make the stock spring work, set rear sag at 4"-4.5".

Then you'll just have to adjust compression and rebound by trial and error to get the rear handling as good as you can. Set the clickers for both in the middle of their travel and adjust from there.

If the rear kicks up it's either because the compression is too stiff or rebound is too fast. You also can get into a condition called "packing", where the suspension compresses after a hit but doesn't rebound fast enough before the next hit, so the suspension is still compressed somewhat and can't compress enough to absorb the hit, so the rear kicks up.

thanks for the tip we measure the sag me and a buddy i think were with in those specs that u said. i guess trial and error it is, also my 400 has the yellow spring on it i take thats not the stock one