Sign in to follow this  

BRAND NEW KLXR 4hrs and WONT START!!!!

HI Not to pleased with my new bike, any opinions?-

35km, rode in 2nd day I owned it and idled high ( No stupid stuff,)

put it in garage ,

rode 7 days later , went good though still idled high,

Garaged for 4 days then WONT start!!!!!!! , now I dont want to run the battery flat and tried to kikstart , it ran for 20 seconds twice (rough fluctuating in idle speed) then stopped ,

now nothing! breaking my foot trying to kick over constantly!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Im taking it back to the shop as its under warranty but i havnt had a four storoke before and the shops around here arent very friendly when asking heaps of questions; any owners had simular problems?:)http://www.thumpertalk.com/forum/images/smilies/foul.gif

:D

I had a riding buddy that just got rid of his. His main complaint was overheating. He attempted to jet the bike several times, but still didn't solve the problem entirely. He ended up trading it in for a KTM 2 stroke which he LOVES!!!

what year ? i only owned 2strokes before and couldnt find one that i was happy with $$$$$

Check the fuel first off, I know it sounds dumb, but simple stuff first. Check that the spark plug lead is pushed all the way down. Next, check all your connections from the engine to the carb, and carb to the airbox. Any leaks or cracks. What kind of gas have you been running through it?

Fuel yes you can never trust a dealer ,I just topped up the tank and it was still half full from dealer well its woth a shot (98 oct)?

I had a similar problem and it was caused by the float being set to high in the carb. Duane5157

Is the hotstart stuck? Make sure its moving free. Put some anti seize on the hotstart plunger.

Also had similar problems. The bike would idle itself up to 14kph in first gear.

Kawi dealer told me to move to a 48pilot jet from the stock 45 and that plus some idle screw tweaking has made all of the difference. Kawa said they would make this change under warranty for me, but I didn't feel like making two 3.5 hour each way trips for a change like this. I haven't done anything to the fuel screw as I didn't realize how hard it was to get to after I changed the jets.

It still takes a bit of fussing with the idle screw; start with choke on and it starts right up and idles high in short time (uncomfortably high for my liking but if I turn down the idle speed the bike stalls). If I turn the choke off before it warms up enough I'll often have to restart the bike a few times and monitor the throttle until it's at full operating temps. From there it works great.

Keep in mind I'm at 4300ft elevation and around 25*c and 30% humidity, but hard starting is generally linked to a lean condition on the pilot circuit on the carb.

If you're messing with jetting, I strongly recommend you put in the aftermarket fuel screw and make your other jetting change at the same time as it's quite a pain to get to the carb. My remote fuel screw from R&D is in the mailbox today :)

Sorry For Your Bad Experience So Far. This Bike A Great Bike, I've Had Mine A Year Now And Love It. The Bike New Is Very Very Lean. Lean Equals Hard Starting And Overheating. This Is A 50 State Legal Bike Which Means It Has Emissions Requirements. This Is Not A Motorcross Bike. So That Said, You Really Need To Do A Couple Things To These Bikes To Really Make Them Run Properly. 1st Thing I Would Recomend To Any Body With A Klx450r Is To Install A Jet Kit. Jd Jetting In My Opinion Is The Kit To Get. Next Thing You Really Need To Do Is Drill Out The Fuel Screw Plug And Install A Fuel Screw!! This Thing Is Way To Lean At Idle. Use A Flexible Screw So You Can Get To It. Xr's Only Sells A Very Nice One. This Solves Most All Running Issues. Solves Most All Hard Starting Issues.

I Can Let Mine Set For 2-3 Weeks And Turn The Gas On, Pump The Throttle 2-3 Times And Pull The Choke Out, Bam, Starts Right Up.

Richard

I second evinrudedudes statement. I have over 3000 miles on my KLX, At first I had the high idle and heat issues, not anymore! I like it so much I bought another for my friends to ride.

awsome feedback Im now in love with 2 things my klxr & THIS FORUM YOU GUYS ROCK!!!!!!! ( just to let ya know it was only the boot on the choke , a small sectoin came off its shroud and wasnt closing properly! and also didnt realise where the reserve fuel level sat and my fuel level was borderline to the reserve! though the mods listed are much needed and are 1st on the to do list after rego; Would it pass rego with these done ? or does the bike need to be emmision tested???? N.S.W. Australia (arguably some of the best riding in the world it has EVERYTHING ,look it up!, Ill post some vids and pictures when i get more organised;

AGAIN -THIS FROUM ROCKS SO DO ALL ITS MEMBERS (helpful ones)http://www.thumpertalk.com/forum/images/smilies/ride.gif

:)

He ended up with a KTM 300 XCW. I let him ride my KTM 200 XCW, and he immediately bought his KTM and traded the Kaw. He was and still is amazed at the low end power the bike has. Definitely unlike any other 2 stroke.

My buddy has the KLX 450, and we sat with our mouths open at the amount of crap they put on this bike to restrict its flow. But once the fixes are made (and they're easy ones) the bikles power REALLY wakes up! Next thing to change is the crazy soft suspension. What's up with that stuff?

I started my KLX yesterday. It has been sitting for about 4 months with out firing.It still had some battery left also. I hooked up the charger and left it for about 3 hrs. Went out cranked it without the fuel on then opened the fuel petcock. Gave it another couple of cranks. 4 blips on the throttle and it started to fire. Pulled the choke and it fired right away. It almost stayed started without the choke. I have it jetted with the F2 kit. Been that way since I put it on.

awsome feedback Im now in love with 2 things my klxr & THIS FORUM YOU GUYS ROCK!!!!!!! ( just to let ya know it was only the boot on the choke , a small sectoin came off its shroud and wasnt closing properly! and also didnt realise where the reserve fuel level sat and my fuel level was borderline to the reserve! though the mods listed are much needed and are 1st on the to do list after rego; Would it pass rego with these done ? or does the bike need to be emmision tested???? N.S.W. Australia (arguably some of the best riding in the world it has EVERYTHING ,look it up!, Ill post some vids and pictures when i get more organised;

AGAIN -THIS FROUM ROCKS SO DO ALL ITS MEMBERS (helpful ones)http://www.thumpertalk.com/forum/images/smilies/ride.gif

👍

There is no emmision testing bikes in Aust only noise testing.

hey , so i got a new klx450r last week . took it out for a few hours, loved it . then the boiling over started, then the dead battery, and apparantly a rock hit the case under the view hole. crappy sheild. its in shop for warranty on battery, and case replacement, trying out engine ice for the cooling. anybody try that stuff?

My bike ran hot and lean before I made jetting, exhaust, AIS and Airbox modifications. I ran the stock coolant and it never boiled. I have since changed to engine ice and ran it this summer. I can not say if it is better. The bike has never overheated under some hard riding conditions. I ride at about 1000 feet.

A good skid plate is also a must. Do not forget to protect the radiators too.

Must do's for the bike are jetting, fully charge the battery after picking it up, skid plate and replace the spark arrester with something less restrictive. After that the bike is excellent. If you way over 180lbs you want to look into springs too.

After intially charging the battery I haven't had any problems with it. I put the battery tender on it after the last ride and with in 10 minutes it was green.

Is the front head light AC or DC? On the KTMs there are two seperate circuits, one for charging the battery (AC to rectifier) and one for the head light/taillight (AC) which we would tie in to the rectifier and get 65 watts of DC power.

actullay the head light does not run on a seperate circuit. it runs on ac. straight off the stator. this is the reason the bikes charging system sucks. put a on/off switch on the head light, run it in the off position and you will have upgraded the charging of the bike to a certain extent. see my thread on this fix and on how to put your head light on dc.

richard