Where are these fires?

Anyone in CO know exactly where these fires are located? Man that one that is pumping smoke and burnt embers into the Denver metro area looks like it is Rampart. But I believe it is further southwest of Rampart.

I was down in Caslte Rock today and it looks like a mushroom cloud. The wind is carrying it all the way through Denver. Pretty impressive. I rode my street bike back and all my clothes smell like I've been sitting around a camp fire. It is like Apocolypse Now around here in Parker.

I feel it will only be a matter of time before Rampart goes up. I can't believe I'm saying this again but everyone do their rain dances. We need moisture in the worst way.

The Ranger said it started north of Lake George. In the morining it was 13 miles away and by 4 oclock it was about 9 miles away from Rampart. Deckers had a mandatory evac. rt67 closed.

Was at the Poker Run today and you could barely see the sun. You could stare at it as if it were sunset.

Was caused by a campfire yesterday that got out of control. BONEHEADS! ? They knew we had a ban on campfires but "It was only a small one." :D Now it is about 1500 acres and growing out of control. :D

Hate to say it but Rampart is in danger.

hee yaa hoooya eeeya hoooya oooye hhaaa hee yaa hoooya eeeya hoooya oooye hhaaa hee yaa hoooya eeeya hoooya oooye hhaaa hee yaa hoooya eeeya hoooya oooye hhaaa hee yaa hoooya eeeya hoooya oooye hhaaa hee yaa hoooya eeeya hoooya oooye hhaaa hee yaa hoooya eeeya hoooya oooye hhaaa !!!hope that does it that is my best rain mojo best of luck and prayers! :D?:D

Dan, not only is Rampart in danger, but that fire is pretty much on the northern end of the Divide area. They evac'd Wildhorn and LVR yesterday. Both those areas are due East of Hacketts.

I agree with the "bonehead" comment. 50,000 (yes,

FIFTY THOUSAND) acres and counting. 500 acres an hour. I have some pictures taken from my house at 8 on Saturday (fire started around 6) and again from yesterday at 7:30 if anyone is interested. I have no way of posting them though, I'd have to email them.

This fire isn't even the #1 priority in the state. The Glenwood fire is #1 and therefore, the Hanover fire is just going to burn. I hope they draw and quarter the dumbasses who did this..

Merf

Originally posted by Merfman:

50,000 (yes,

FIFTY THOUSAND) acres and counting. 500 acres an hour.

Sorry, local paper says approx 20,000 acres. Could consume as much as 100,000 acres. BTW, for all you that wanted to come ride this summer, plan for something else. Pike National Forest will be closed later today. ?

The chopper pilots that were fighting the fires reported seeing "dozens" of campfires. :D

Merf, I'd like to check out a couple pic's if they're available-I'll PM you my email. I have to agree with the comments on the campfires. I lived in Woodland Park for about 20 years, and now Denver, but the morons that just can't keep themselves from starting a campfire are going to burn our state down ?

I'd say Rampart is definitely in danger of, at the least, being closed off,and at the worst burning significantly.

Clarkster,

Fromt he way it sounds, Santa Workshop, Pikes Peak area is still fine, and areas of Rampart are ok as well (like near the reservoir). It's when you get closer to Deckers that things get ugly. At least I think that's what's happening. Although in a few more days-who knows???

The wife and I did the poker run yesterday (short course) She stopped after the seconf check point but I went on. By the time I was done, It was looking pretty surrealistic in rampart. I dont think they have a chance of stopping it before rampart. Part of the shortcourse took us through some of the older fire areas. They WERE coming back nicely.

I have never raced or ridden in anything, for those of you who have ridden that poker run before was that the normal "Family Course" they had layed out?

Jason

Am I reading that map correctly (the one from Kerry T's link)? Did the fire jump the road and pick up at the south end of Rampart? I know trail 688, off of 677, takes you down to the paved road that takes you into Deckers. Is that 67? If that is the same road I'm thinking about, then the fire would be into the Rampart area. I hope I am not reading that map correctly. Someone tell me I'm not.

Originally posted by endurodog:

Guys it looks bad from a map I just found. Looks like its in to the Rampart riding area, as near as I can tell from the map and this is one from 6AM this morning. Deckers is looking pretty doomed from this map.

http://www.9news.com/newsroom/hayman/firemap610.jpg

Look really closely though and I think, the "Deckers" that's in bold is the campground. In the upper right part of the map, you can see the town of Deckers, where the three roads cross. It ain't burnt *yet* but it ain't looking good. The black and white dotted line isn't 67 like I first thought.

Merf

9News reports evacuations of everything West of Sedlia. I can't believe it. It looks like Rampart is in the direct line. I really feel sorry for anyone with homes out there or that have been consumed already. Could you imagine losing everything? It is going to be a very long summer. Especially if we can't ride Rampart.

I guess this means more trips to Moab for me. If I don't sell the bike first. If Rampart goes up, it will be 10 years before they think about opening it up. 68,000 acres so far and they predict it will be 100,000 by tomorrow. It also is officailly the biggest fire ever in CO.

Good luck to the firemen and smoke jumpers. Hope they can get some kind of hold on this soon. And that they don't get hurt doing so.

[ June 10, 2002: Message edited by: Dougie ]

Yeah, it'll be a miracle if Rampart isn't gone, I think. They've given voluntary evacuation orders to people in Roxborough now too. Should be another smoky night in Highlands Ranch...

You can bet I'll be saying a little prayer for the firefighters working on that one.

They are not putting any fire fighters in front of the fire at this point because they say it is impossible to fight and would be to much of a risk. They attempting to attack it from the flanks, the sides. Its about 830 pm here in Denver and the wind has shifted. Don't know how long it will stay that way but its a start.