Sign in to follow this  

Chain Differences

I new so don't throw any rocks at me, but please explain to me the differnces in chains. I see some talking about a 520 chain and a 525 chain. My new DR 650 has a 525 is it OK. Thanks.

Hi... the two chains you mention are close in dimensions. They both are 5/8" pitch (center to center between the pins). The major difference is the widths. The 520 is 23.70mm across the outside plates and the 525 is 25.50mm. The inside of the inner plates (where the rollers are) 6.35mm for the 520 and 7.94mm for the 525.

The other major difference is tensile strength. It varies from different chain manufactorers, but the 525 is normally higher in tensile strength than the 520.

I hope this helps.

Can someone also explain O-ring vs. non O-ring?

I hear non O-ring last longer and create less rotational friction?

If that was the case why would OEM be O-ring?...my Dr200 is slow enough!

I hear non O-ring last longer and create less rotational friction

Last longer no. Less friction yes.

O-Ring (or X-Ring, XW-Ring, etc) chains use a rubber ring between the link plates and the roll pin to seal in grease and keep dirt etc out. Less maintenance needed but you should try not to wash out the grease with aggressive chemicals, pressure washer etc.

I put a 520 chain on so I could go with a much larger rear sprocket to lower the gearing. I went from a 42 rear to a 52. I ride in the woods a lot and it makes a huge differance. You also have to get a matching counter sprocket.