Sign in to follow this  

Riding my dirt bike all the time

I have been an avid rider my whole life, both street and dirt, but mostly dirt. Grew up riding CR’s, YZ’s,KX’s and RM’s. Two stroke power from 80 to 250cc’s

I always remember as a young kid when I would be riding my 2 stroke from field to field to change water. Thinking to my self, “Wish I could ride my dirt bike all the time.” We had both gravel and oil roads. I loved riding on both. Bike handled well on both.

A couple of month’s ago, I purchased an 09 KLX 250S. I have ridden many street and sport bikes and a KLR 650 back and forth to work. My KLX 250 is by far the most fun bike to ride. It is light and has good power. I can almost drag a knee on some of the corners. The bike is way fun to ride. It is no slouch. Not the torque of the KLR, but not far behind. It just reminded of riding my dirt bike to work. Now I can. I love it. I don’t have to ride freeway. Bike is not good for that. But the commuting that I do both town and urban. The bike is sweet. Now I can ride my dirt bike all the time. Just had so much fun on my way to work. Had to share the experience.

werd!! I got an 07 KLX250S a couple months ago - and loving every minute of it. I put an exhaust system and rejet it - and it's so much fun to ride off road and on.

Mainly got it because the cops were cracking down here in CT kicking everybody off the same trails we've been riding for years.. Was getting hard to hid our trucks and stuff.. Solution?? Ride the roads to the trails. No more hiding trucks or wondering if the cops would be sitting by your truck waiting to fine you when you came back.

Love it.

They are a blast. I am working on re-jetting with new exhaust.

When I come into work. I don't follow the roads into the plant I work at. I drive down the side walks, hop off a curb and I have a short cut to the bike parking. Can't do that on too many other bikes.

I feel the same with my 230L I know it's no 250 but it can haul my but any where I want to go. I was really suprised at the thumbs up I get riding this bike on the street. Don't know how I ever went with out one. and it handles the twisties alot better than I ever thought it would with the knobbies.

I used to rip down the highway on my CR250 smoker years ago to get from trail to trail...always looking over my shoulder wondering when I was going to have to duck into the woods. I thought then "this is great, if only it were legal." Fast forward years later, 400 more cc's and 2 more strokes and it's deja vu all over again, but now I'm legal. Now when I see a cop on the road I don't have to look over my shoulder to see if I need to bolt...I just check my mirror.:D

My 650R is a brute in the tight stuff, but loads of fun and It'll tear up a gravel/dirt road with the best of 'em.:):worthy:

My DR650 was a pig offroad, but it would go darn-near anywhere I pointed. At the time, I needed something for the freeway. I've since sold the bike and now ride almost everyday to work on a 1985 XR350R. Its not a new 450, but I can afford it, and keep up with just about anyone offroad. Just don't ask it to jump more than 5ft.........them forks aren't the greatest!

I remember riding my 125 YZ from farm to farm to change water. This would be several miles. There was a stretch of paved road that had twisties and I would hit these fast and lean as far as I felt the knobs would go with out washing out. There was another part that there was a main road. But beside it, was a single track that went through whoops and there were small jumps, but when you hit where a road would intersect with the single track you had a table top. If no vehicles were around you could hit it and launch and land on the down side missing pavement and all. It was a blast.

When I had my KLR 650 it was a sweet bike, just to heavy for me. It was a nice dirt road bike, but where I live there are a lot of road, but a lot more single track and desert roads which are a lot more fun on a dirt bike.

I had to choose between the KLR650, DR650, WR250 and KLX250. I researched and found that for me the KLX was it. Small power plant, but much lighter. Take the lights off and you almost have a KX250F. I don’t know how close the motor is to the KXF, but I am impressed, especially since it has stock gearing as well. This bike is completely stock (for the moment) and when you have to get with it, it will get with it. You have to keep it in the higher rpms, but it had no problem accelerating in traffic or up the mountain road that I sometimes hit on my way home.

I had a buddy that had a 350 XR. That is a sweet bike.