Sign in to follow this  

How much to charge?

How much should I charge someone to change fork seals, bushings, and oil? One of them has a TM 125 and the other has a Honda450f. They are coworkers of mine so not a close friend price but not a stranger price either.

Thanks!

I'd say $80 to $100 per bike for labor plus parts. I'll have to dig out my reciepts but I thinks I paid $150 in labor for similar service done at a professional shop near where I live

I just replaced my seals on my crf250x myself. I called my local dealer in CO and they wanted $165 labor plus parts. I bought the seal driver ($55), bullet (12), seals($60?), and fluid($15). So $100 sounds fair especially if they know whats involved. See what they say and explain all the tools and labor that are needed.

Also make sure you have the correct seal driver, bullets, and manuals so you don't lose money having to buy tools.

At least a 100 plus parts(Maybe some of Dave`s oil). Once you start doing things too cheaply you will be stalked for the rest of your natural life !!! Trust me on this:thumbsup:

OH, and if do it too cheap, it will look like you cut corners somewhere or perhaps your service is inferior to others in some way.

And......never mind ..this post could go on for days!

Besides these forks you speak of have probably never been serviced so they will need a total disassembly and cleaning. All black and nasty......yukk!

They will bring the components to you all dirty with mudd hanging off!!

You will be saying to yourself half way through the service "This ain`t worth it, this ain`t worth it".

Besides there is enough info here at "TT" for you to do a perfect professional job the first time(not that it is your first time)! So get Paid !! I love America:ride:

you got that right. I helped a couple of people with their computers then they expected me to do it all the time. Then they get mad when I say I don't have time. I'm going to start charging for that too.

At least a 100 plus parts(Maybe some of Dave`s oil). Once you start doing things too cheaply you will be stalked for the rest of your natural life !!! Trust me on this:thumbsup:

OH, and if do it too cheap, it will look like you cut corners somewhere or perhaps your service is inferior to others in some way.

And......never mind ..this post could go on for days!

Besides these forks you speak of have probably never been serviced so they will need a total disassembly and cleaning. All black and nasty......yukk!

They will bring the components to you all dirty with mudd hanging off!!

You will be saying to yourself half way through the service "This ain`t worth it, this ain`t worth it".

Besides there is enough info here at "TT" for you to do a perfect professional job the first time(not that it is your first time)! So get Paid !! I love America:ride:

:)

I must not be asking enough when I service forks/shocks... I have been doing it for $60 plus oil (20), they bring the parts. And shock $60 plus oil (10) and nitro charge (20) at local shop... then for a friends friend I have put new seals in a showa shock and rebuilt the forks (with his help) for $60...

you got that right. I helped a couple of people with their computers then they expected me to do it all the time. Then they get mad when I say I don't have time. I'm going to start charging for that too.

I am in the IT industry working for the U.S.ARMY. I had to get a real job here just to get away from peeps lookin for cheap/underpriced computer repairs(i used to own a small mom and pop clone shop)!!! :) Peeps nickel and dime you to death! OHHHH ,,bad memories:cry: The Horror:banghead: These peeps will seek you out like crackheads seeking a dealer on a Friday night(never mind crackheads don`t work)! You will know what I mean in the future as your client base grows:eek: :D Good luck Brother!

I never did have a good "line of shit" as far as working up the prices like most shops even though I was sure my work was the best. I just charged what I thought was fair(way to cheap). And after a while it felt like I was working for free and in the end was`nt worth it for me any longer. I sold out.

So.....as Colonel Sanders used to say "CHARGE!!" and feel good about it! At least, close to the "going rates"'. You gatta these days or you won`t make it.

These days everything is too darn expensive to be spending your time

performing "good guy deals" for everybody. Take pride in your work and hope fully you may end up being paid decently for doing what you like to do:thumbsup: (someone noticed me at my store and offered me the job I have today)

:worthy:

:)

Russ knows what i speak!!!!!:D Actually probably better as I see he has 5years on me:rolleyes: Oh and don`t mention this discusion to "Lew", we`ll never get outa here!!

I must not be asking enough when I service forks/shocks... I have been doing it for $60 plus oil (20), they bring the parts. And shock $60 plus oil (10) and nitro charge (20) at local shop... then for a friends friend I have put new seals in a showa shock and rebuilt the forks (with his help) for $60...

Sounds fair for now, so keep it up and in 5 years you can triple these prices and your customers will still love you. By then you will have LOTS of customers and even more, with the "Stealerships" approaching $200.00 per hour rates!! Just do your best and when that time comes you may have a little "cash cow" or maybe a whole company!

Only in America:thumbsup: annnnnnd British Columbia!

Wow, you really don't ask much, and that's in British Columbia!