Trail Restrictions in the Tillamook State Forest

What dude? Aren't you riding with us this weekend? How long do the closures usually last? Is it that once it's hot like this, things dry out and it doesn't get better until the major rain starts? You think they'll reopen things soon?

The trails in the Blue lake & Dark Divide areas, Gifford Pinchot National Forest will be open. No matter how dry it gets, they will be open.

http://www.fs.fed.us/gpnf/recreation/trailbikes/index.shtml

Only the Boundary trail west of Craggy Peak is still blocked by snow. The trails are generally above 3,000 ft, so for this hot weekend, it is actually cooler than in the valleys. Spark arresters are of course required.

What dude? Aren't you riding with us this weekend? How long do the closures usually last? Is it that once it's hot like this, things dry out and it doesn't get better until the major rain starts? You think they'll reopen things soon?

Yes, riding track with the crew this weekend... but was planning a Trask trip next ? .

They don't usually lift restrictions until we get some pretty consistant cooler weather with some rain.

Three days of triple digit weather usually gets the trails closed... happened in the first half of July last year.

It looks like, according to this chart that riding in Cent. OR and most of the rest of the state is still open... cross our fingers that doesn't change before Sept. 19th.

Link... http://www.oregon.gov/ODF/FIRE/precautionlevel.shtml

Maybe we will make the R&R Poker Run :D .

Titanium BABY!!! Yip Yip :worthy: ..... post #2000.

It was soaking wet in the mook last weekend. I guess we got a whole 3 month long season between the snow melting and fire restriction. I hope next year is better.

Just to be sure, everything is closed except the gravel roads? In the past I thought you just had to have water and a shovel in your vehicle.

I thought you just had to have water and a shovel in your vehicle.

That was my understanding too. I've went riding all summer there last year and never saw anything closed for sire danger. I guess I missed the weekends it was closed, or I didn't know and rode anyway.

PS- whats up Mark? Want to hit up the Mill sometime soon?

Me and Rooster rode a real nice loop last weekend out there.

I was going to call you last weekend but I saw you were doing to poker run. Did they have many trails open? It seems like half of what there is to ride in Diamond Mill is officially closed so I wasn't sure what kind of route they would use.

I was thinking of going out Sunday but it would be an early morning start and heading back by 11 or 12. If there are fire restrictions I guess I will clean the cobwebs of my mountain bike.

A little insight on the closure. Fuel moisture levels and fuel ignition components are two key items used to determine the fire danger. I am sure everyone has seen the fire danger sign on Hwy 6, but under the sign in the "industrial fire precaution level" which effect the loggers. This level goes from 1 to 4. At level 3 they shut the trails down and level 4 the entire woods get shut down to everyone. Just because it rained last week, doesn't mean that there is no fire danger. Once it cools down here next week the trails will more than likely reopen.

This is an inconvience, but it is to help prevent another Tillamook Burn. Most of the fire are usually human related. The woods usually don't light themselves on fire.

FYI, did you know that during regulated use you are suposed to have 1 gallon of water or a 2 1/2 lb fire extinguisher and a shovel for fire use in your vehicle once you leave the highway? If you don't and are caught it could be a $100+ ticket.

apparently Upper Nestucca is closed too--a poker run was postponed this weekend. I can't ride here at home either, I live within whatever those boundaries are, our road is posted with those orange signs(with the teeny tiny print)

ThumperTDC--is there a fine for smoking(like if someone is standing on the side of the road smoking) during the level 3, do you know what it is? Yesterday this girl was smoking on our road, I need ammo for the stupids!

apparently Upper Nestucca is closed too--a poker run was postponed this weekend. I can't ride here at home either, I live within whatever those boundaries are, our road is posted with those orange signs(with the teeny tiny print)

ThumperTDC--is there a fine for smoking(like if someone is standing on the side of the road smoking) during the level 3, do you know what it is? Yesterday this girl was smoking on our road, I need ammo for the stupids!

When regulated use goes into effect (when those orange signs are posted) the only place people are allowed to smoke in the woods is in an enclosed vehicle. People can be cited for smoking as you mentioned above. First offense is a written warning, then it citation time, which I think the first citation is alittle over $100. It may have changed from last year as far as the dollar amount, but either way it may put a hurtin on the pocket book. When I was working for ODF on the fire crew, my train of thought was to inform folks instead of pissing them off by writing them up. Others were by the book and managed to piss alot of people off.

Effective, Monday August 18th at 01:00 AM the Industrial Precaution Level will drop back down to a Level 2 allowing the OHV Trails in the Tillamook State Forest and the BLM managed Nestucca riding areas to re-OPEN to public use.

So the trails should now be open again.

• Like 1

I loved the Sunday morning surprise when we found all the Upper Nestucca OHV areas closed due to fire danger. Ironic how all the folks camping by the river didn't get the same treatment and had open campfires burning throughout the morning. Thankfully they have reopened.

haha, opps ORrooster, I retract my thank you, you're right I meant thanks to THumperTDC for the smokin fine info. I guess I need to have a bucket of water balloons to throw at them.

but your rain dance did work rooster, we got a nice dampening, trails should be awesome!!!! there was an awesome lightning and thunder show on Saturday night ?