Sign in to follow this  

300XCW-E 2008 starting issues

Bought a 300XCW-E without trying based upon the reviews here. Complete newb to the 2T world. Thanks everyone, great bike! Makes the WR feel like a tractor...

With four hours on the engine since purchase, electric starter does not always work on first or second push. Starter would not turn over the engine yesterday. Kick started, engine would run then bog and shut off after a few minutes of riding (similar to running with the fuel petcock off). Tank is full, gas on. Pulled plug, black. Cleaned and re-inserted plug, same issues:banghead: . Any ideas or input would really be appreciated.

Bought a 300XCW-E without trying based upon the reviews here. Complete newb to the 2T world. Thanks everyone, great bike! Makes the WR feel like as tractor...

With four hours on the engine since purchase, electric starter does not always work on first or second push. Starter would not turn over the engine yesterday. Kick started, engine would run then bog and shut off after a few minutes of riding (similar to running with the fuel petcock off). Tank is full, gas on. Pulled plug, black. Cleaned and re-inserted plug, same issues:banghead: . Any ideas or input would really be appreciated.

your jetting is likely too rich.

Thanks for the quick response gmoss. Would incorrect jetting contibute to the starting problem and bog issue?

Thanks for the quick response gmoss. Would incorrect jetting contibute to the starting problem and bog issue?

there have been some issues with the early 08 starters.

the bog has to do with your jetting, likely. You could go with the JD jet kit, if you want to simplify it, or you could get the correct needle and jets, and dial it in yourself. You just need to figure out where it is rich.

I assume your jetting still stock? your elevation and temps?

Your bike came with 2 needles and another jet or two. Look in the back of your owners manual and match your elevation to the chart. The bike came from the dealership sloppy rich.

I use the JD kit to make jetting easy as I'm an idiot.

The stock stuff will be fine though when properly adjustered.

Your starter is a warranted issue through KTM. Call the dealer. He can fix you up.

there have been some issues with the early 08 starters.

the bog has to do with your jetting, likely. You could go with the JD jet kit, if you want to simplify it, or you could get the correct needle and jets, and dial it in yourself. You just need to figure out where it is rich.

I assume your jetting still stock? your elevation and temps?

Hi gmoss:

Jetting is stock. Altitude is 295 ft. Temp is approx. 73 Fahrenheit. Curious why the bike would ride primo for the first few hours if wrong settings etc.

Your bike came with 2 needles and another jet or two. Look in the back of your owners manual and match your elevation to the chart. The bike came from the dealership sloppy rich.

Your starter is a warranted issue through KTM. Call the dealer. He can fix you up.

Chaz:

Your e-bay post started my hunt for a 300! 65 hun was a steal. JD sounds suitable, thanks for the heads up on the warranty issue.

Hi gmoss:

Jetting is stock. Altitude is 295 ft. Temp is approx. 73 Fahrenheit. Curious why the bike would ride primo for the first few hours if wrong settings etc.

well, we can't experience what you can and only have what info you divulge. I am not that familar with the Estart, but if it is dragging or hangin up, it could put a strain on the engine?? Otherwise, has there been a temp change, humidity, old gas, has it been sitting?

sounds like you need to have the starter addressd first, then assess any other issues afterward.

my bike will kick and start right up sometimes and run, others it needs a little coaxing. It depends on the weather and how long I have left it sitting in the garage. so, yes it could easily happen.

The starter issue has something to do with the wrong grease or too much along with a bad spring in the bendix? Its a widely reported issue that KTM is aware of and they have been fixing them at no charge to the customer.

Try a search both here and that "Other" site

As mentioned above its rich. My first choice is the JD kit. next would be to tinker with the needles and jets on your own.

What I didn't see mentioned is not to reuse fouled plugs.

Get yourself a box of spares. A formerly fouled plug is more likely to refoul.

Your also in a cooler area. Consider a BR7 if your not running one.

Just a thought, but my '08 would act like that if the battery was not fully charged. I notice the battery in my '09 looks a little bigger. I keep a Battery Tender pigtail hooked up under the seat and plug it in when not riding. The '09 starts almost before my finger hits the button, but I only rode it for the first time today.

Also, I'm at approx 800' elevation and it was about 77 degrees for a high today. My setup is:

35 pilot

162 main

N3CH needle 3rd (middle) position

stock slide

air screw 1 1/2 out

power valve - red spring with adjuster flush with pv housing *

running Spectro Synthetic @ 32:1

*if you change the spring lay the bike over on it's left side so you won't lose tranny oil!

Bike pulls smooth and hard off the bottom all the way up and is linear power with no bog or hesitation anywhere.

QUOTE]

Why is the JD kit considered an easy fix / plug_play type thing?

QUOTE]

Why is the JD kit considered an easy fix / plug_play type thing?

JD has an easy to understand chart and his needles seem to cover lots of variance compartively....

JD has already tested a gazillion different combos so we dont have to?

A high percentage of local Katoomers will be on the JD kit and can easily tell you what combo is working for them?

You can call JD and a nice old lady will walk you through yer' issues?

The kit comes with a really cool sticker?:p

That being said my 200 is not JD Jetted. To much readily available info on that bike where the 300's have been a bit on the finicky side over the years.