the good and bad of a klx450r 08

Faults that I am aware of in my limited ownership of this bike (I am, however a research fanatic )

- Stock Jetting sucks, I think everybody has to deal with this.

- A few complaints of overheating problems - often related to jetting.

- Chain slap sound when the chain slack grows out of spec makes a very un-nerving sound.

- I've heard many complaints of this bike eating chain sliders (likely related to the fairly fine range of acceptable chain slack)

- Seems like a few have complained about the usability of the headlight without having to modify (apparently it runs with the High beam on instead of the low beam)

- The battery doesn't charge well if you are riding a slower speeds

- Oil Filter cover interference from header pipe make changing the oil filter a bit more frustrating than need be.

It looks like a long list, but IMO are just minor inconveniences. Aside from jetting, this bike is perfectly rideable out of showroom.

The maintenance schedule is pretty huge to list off but I doubt any more intensive than comparable bikes. It is much more service intensive than my DRZ250 playbike.

I've read very few complaints about this bike over all though. Seems like many are getting several thousand kilometers before having to replace pistons and rings and Valve clearances don't seem to be a nagging issue either. Valves clearances are set with shims like most of the other 450's excluding the KTM 450exc.

You can spend a pile of money modifying this bike (like anything else) but the nice thing is that you don't HAVE to.

My 2cents anyway.

I second the comment about the stock jetting, mine sucked big time, but put on the JD Jetting kit and its 100% and no overheating or close to it.

Battery doesnt charge well, might want to put a switch on this.

Other than that, its been great!

ok ,thank u for information its exelent , but 1 think that is a pet hate with odern 4 st is regular valve ajustment its rediculous as i only trail ride them .i had a exc 450 04 it was lovely to ride but the oil was a pain to do and the valves lol every 15 hrs but i did read that after 4 valve ajustments from new they settle in and only need checking every 50 hrs acording to some guys on tt .i now own a wr450f 04 which the oil is easy to change and valves hardley need touching for ages im happy with it very much so lol but like a kid fancy a klx450r and would love to know wat is recomended valve checks (how often) and what is actualy needed after settlment ? thank u trailanywhere

trailanywhere.

Per the owners manual, valve inspection is recomended after the initial 1200 mi (2000 km) and then every 600 mi (1000km) therafter. I don't know if you usually have to adjust them at that point or not, as I only have 800 mi on mine. Someone else on the forum prabably will have a little more insight into this.

I Know that they recomend oil changes at 600 mi intervals. That seems way to long for me. I change every 200. We could probably start a new thread/argument on that subject.

I hope this doesn't seem like a hijack but I think I'm looking for what the thread-starter is.

The comments above are cons . . . so what are the pros for Pete's sakes!?

I'm in the market for a bike with some more spit. I ride a KDX220 that I've modified fairly extensively and, while it is indeed a fine woods machine, it's all it's ever going to be. And I've decided that what I really want in a bike is one with a little too much rather than just enough (or sometimes just not enough).

I've been goggling everything from a YZ250 to the newer KTM xcw's. Two strokes, I can work on 'em and I like the boom you get. BUT . . . I like dependable and tractable power; I like explosive but not so much it that it gets unwieldy 'specially in the timber.

So what's caught my attention are the rave reviews the KLX is getting. I've not heard any real consistent negative attributes. Great torque and power but not overwhelming. Plush suspension. It does look heavy on paper, but even for that issue comments seem to indicate that it doesn't feel heavy and the riders are actually calling it nimble.

I'm going to take the time to read the posts you fellas have left really soon but just a few specific things to add to the original question of "Good and Bad" (hopefully not at the irk of the thread originator):

How does the weight feel when you're in the tight stuff - first gear speed nasty trails?

For anyone who's familiar with other 450s: in stock trim how would you compare the KLX450 to the power of other 450s?

Part of me keeps thinking to stick with the 2 strokes, but every time I read more about these machines - and the few times I've seen 'em at the dealer - I absentmindedly begin to drool!!

Yamajeb,

I picked up my KLX last night, am going through it today and riding tomrrow. That being said just motoring around the yard stock it felt better than my 03 KTM 450exc. I did remove the spark arrester after 10 minutes of motoring and what a difference. I may just get a KX, powerbomb or PC header and sparke arrester and be done with it. I have a JD jet kit and AIS block off coming today with my hand guards and a tall seat. I plan on swaping springs for my weight and putting a skid plate on for tomrrows ride and that is it. Next week more goodies will be showing up. ?

I'll be starting a project thread soon cuz over the next week I have to get it ready for my first race but I also have rides scheduled tomorrow and Sunday for dialing..

• 4 weeks later...

I have an 08 KLX450R, bought it in late April.

I have been mainly riding a DRZ400 for the last few years. Most of my riding buddies are on KTM's and a few Hondas.

The KLX is an instant confidence builder. Power (after being properly jetted) is very predictable. Sit back and roll it on quick and the front end comes up smoothly, slide forward and the front bites well and the rear slides nice.

With suspension clickers set very soft the ride is as good or better than any other stock 400/425 or 450 I've ever ridden. I'm 175 lbs, older and I'm real picky about suspension so I did a minor re-valve to both shocks and forks. The forks are a bit harsh when you slam them down and the high-speed rebound in the back is too fast so it will kick up at times.

I've done 3 engine valve checks and haven't had to adjust a single one yet in over 2000 miles. I change oil ever 500 miles, oil filter every other oil change. It needs to be changed more than my DRZ because it carries a lot less oil in the motor but extra oil ads extra weight. I'd rather carry the extra oil weight on a shelf in my shop than on my bike in the woods.

Stock exhaust is all stainless steel and real quiet. I figured I'd change it before too long but I've gotten to like the quiet so it will stay.

Always starts right up unless I spend too much time upside down but the e-start always cranks it up eventually.

Headlight sucks for night riding, needs more wattage so it will get a re-wind this winter. The weight on paper seems a bit high when compared to pure race bikes but it doesn't feel at all heavy. Compare it to a KLX650, KLX250R, XL650, DRZ400S, etc and it's light. The weight feels like it's down low and it flicks around real nice in the woods. Mine is street legal with a plate.

This is the first bike I've ever bought that I felt was as good as the bike magazine reviews.

I love the way this thing rides. Did 157 kms in chipmunk creek B.C. over the weekend with a bunch of guys riding 2 strokes. The only problem I had was keeping these dudes off my new bike. everyone loved the ride and kept asking me to switch bikes. My chain did however become noisy near the end of the ride so adjustment is needed and it is true the headlight is completely useless. I tried adjusting it down but it got loose before it came into useable range. The spark arrestor makes the bike sound terrible so that went. and other than that the bike is a pleasure. Also we climbed probably 4 thousand feet up a steep rockey trail and no overheating so maby my jetting is ok.

The only problem I had was keeping these dudes off my new bike. everyone loved the ride and kept asking me to switch bikes. The spark arrestor makes the bike sound terrible so that went. and other than that the bike is a pleasure.

I've been a victim also... my buddies won't get off my bike. I installed a promoto billet insert on my bike, an I love the change. the other thing that sucks is the battery. Other than the bike rocks...

:lame:

• 1 year later...