Sign in to follow this  

XR50 Handlebar replacement

I need to get a replacement set of handlebars for my daughter's 2003 XR50. They were bent by a wipe out.

The stock bars are about $60 plus shipping. They're very simple, there's no clamp, just the handlebar welded onto a plate that holds the studs on.

So what I'd like to know, is there anything worthwhile as far as non-stock bars go? Should I investigate buying clamps and new bars?

Additionally, I'm pretty sure this is the last year she'll be riding this, since she's gotten too tall and is barely able to fit on it now, so while I'm not looking to cheap out, I don't see a point in spending $200 on a really good set up either.

Thanks.

I need to get a replacement set of handlebars for my daughter's 2003 XR50. They were bent by a wipe out.

The stock bars are about $60 plus shipping. They're very simple, there's no clamp, just the handlebar welded onto a plate that holds the studs on.

So what I'd like to know, is there anything worthwhile as far as non-stock bars go? Should I investigate buying clamps and new bars?

Additionally, I'm pretty sure this is the last year she'll be riding this, since she's gotten too tall and is barely able to fit on it now, so while I'm not looking to cheap out, I don't see a point in spending $200 on a really good set up either.

Thanks.

i bought the sikk 50's upper triple and bar mounts for 40 off ebay and a set of fly mini bars for 20 at a local mc store both work great, in the end it fit him alot better i had more choices of forward to back and up and down bar heights.

I'm still using the stock bars, and little thing is 7 years old, on it's 4th rider. Since it doesn't get crashed hard enough to bend the bars very often, I just bend them back everytime :)

I'm still using the stock bars, and little thing is 7 years old, on it's 4th rider. Since it doesn't get crashed hard enough to bend the bars very often, I just bend them back everytime :)

:D

do you use heat? or just a long tube when you bend them back i have never had to bend bars i just replace them, but if it was ever during a race i would like to know what works best.

i would just take a big long pipe to them and a little heat.

FYI if they are cracked or get cracked bending them back unless you weld them i would for sure get new bars

:D

do you use heat? or just a long tube when you bend them back i have never had to bend bars i just replace them, but if it was ever during a race i would like to know what works best.

i would just take a big long pipe to them and a little heat.

FYI if they are cracked or get cracked bending them back unless you weld them i would for sure get new bars

I've not had to use anything yet. Maybe a pipe once, but I don't think I added heat. I just stand in front of the bike, straddling the front tire, and turn it all the way to the side and pull the bent side to me. Of course, this may not work depending on where the bars are bent :)

I like these guys idea. As popular as those bikes are nowadays, you should be able to find some used parts cheap to mount real bars on it.