Sign in to follow this  

shifting while standing... thnx :D

ok i think i finally got it. i was having a heck of a time up shifting while standing but now after doing a little reading, taking in some suggestions and a bit of riding i think i got it :ride: it's sooooo much easier to ride standing when you get used to gripping the tank with your knees and leaning way forward. i even got riding off drop offs down and up over little dirt walls too :worthy: i'm pretty happy and just wanted to tell everyone thanks :) i think my gearing is still a bit too tall though. might have to find a new rear sprocket :D

mike

I used to only sit, and I would be tired very quick. But I ride a slate dump,(your probably familiar with them since your from PA) and theres big loops with hills and things where I would go around the whole time standing and i'm A LOT faster now that I stand. Also, practicing for HS's theres literally these slate walls that are straight up for about 6-10ft, I practice going up and down those, so i'm alright at all around trail riding.

EDIT: I almost forgot, suspension makes a world of difference for anything your doing, I easily doubled my speed coming from the TTR not only because of the power but the suspension.

yeah, lots and lots of slate around here. in fact one place i ride is an old stripping area and it's practically nothing but slate. it's pretty fun though. what part of pa you in?

you have to move the shift lever in a better position and press the tank while shifting to allow the toe to lift the shift lever.

Zac

:) werd, i already have my shifter moved up so i can shift with my riding boots on

Depending on body position, while standing, when I need to shift, I will frequently put all of my weight on my right leg and lift my left foot off of the peg to shift.

Depending on body position, while standing, when I need to shift, I will frequently put all of my weight on my right leg and lift my left foot off of the peg to shift.

+1 Exactly what i do!

yeah, lots and lots of slate around here. in fact one place i ride is an old stripping area and it's practically nothing but slate. it's pretty fun though. what part of pa you in?

I'm from monongahela, south of pittsburgh, what about u

I'm from monongahela, south of pittsburgh, what about u

probably about 2 hours east of you just outside of Altoona in Bellwood in Blair county.

I'm also a Western PA slate dumper 👍 Nothing better than cleaning that crap off your bike after a nice long ride. I'm in Greensburg.

Anyway, I'm curious about shifter position as well.

+1 Exactly what i do!
+2, me too ^^ short feet

Do you keep the shifter high or low? Down shifting is easy as I just stomp down on it. Up shifting is where I struggle when standing. I have 11's so it can be difficult to fit them in there sometimes.

I'm also a Western PA slate dumper 👍 Nothing better than cleaning that crap off your bike after a nice long ride. I'm in Greensburg.

Anyway, I'm curious about shifter position as well.

Do you keep the shifter high or low? Down shifting is easy as I just stomp down on it. Up shifting is where I struggle when standing. I have 11's so it can be difficult to fit them in there sometimes.

I run my shifter right even with the foot peg. Depending on body position, sometimes I'll catch it with my entire toe, sometimes I'll stick the toe of my boot under from the side of the shifter, and sometimes I'll catch the shifter with the side of my boot. It all just depends on how I'm on the bike, and where the bike sits under me when I need to shift.

You'll figure it out with seat time and standing practice.

Have fun!

I run my shifter right even with the foot peg. Depending on body position, sometimes I'll catch it with my entire toe, sometimes I'll stick the toe of my boot under from the side of the shifter, and sometimes I'll catch the shifter with the side of my boot. It all just depends on how I'm on the bike, and where the bike sits under me when I need to shift.

You'll figure it out with seat time and standing practice.

Have fun!

If your planning on honing through the gears you shouldnt be standing, its ok to make a shift to and from a gear like 2nd to 3rd and back to 2nd, etc. while standing... but if you are accelerating hard you should be planted in the seat.

P.S. I am from Derry Township, PA and also ride slate dumps alot since we are on the subject

If your planning on honing through the gears you shouldnt be standing, its ok to make a shift to and from a gear like 2nd to 3rd and back to 2nd, etc. while standing... but if you are accelerating hard you should be planted in the seat.

P.S. I am from Derry Township, PA and also ride slate dumps alot since we are on the subject

Interesting that you would make such a blanket black/white statement.

I disagree.

Interesting that you would make such a blanket black/white statement.

I disagree.

Ok i will agree with you that there are acceptions to every rule, and this is definately true in this case....

I am referring to straight on acceration, ripping through the gears as stated.

This is normally occuring on smoother, straighter surfaces. (NOT always though)

I cannot think of any occasions where you should be standing while ripping 100% throttle, going straight. Normally when turning, your not 100% throttle until the exit-half of the turn, and you should also be seated at this point on the high end of the motorcycle.

To stand while tearing through the gears means using more of your arms to keep you in an attack position (unless ur on a klx 125 or something, but a 450 will try to THROW you off the bike), even while gripping with knees, and shifting is definatley more awkward while standing and gripping with knees.

I am open for debate on this I could be overlooking situations, there are plenty of things you do during the course of a ride that you dont even notice...

Ok i will agree with you that there are acceptions to every rule, and this is definately true in this case....

I am referring to straight on acceration, ripping through the gears as stated.

This is normally occuring on smoother, straighter surfaces. (NOT always though)

I cannot think of any occasions where you should be standing while ripping 100% throttle, going straight. Normally when turning, your not 100% throttle until the exit-half of the turn, and you should also be seated at this point on the high end of the motorcycle.

To stand while tearing through the gears means using more of your arms to keep you in an attack position (unless ur on a klx 125 or something, but a 450 will try to THROW you off the bike), even while gripping with knees, and shifting is definatley more awkward while standing and gripping with knees.

I am open for debate on this I could be overlooking situations, there are plenty of things you do during the course of a ride that you dont even notice...

You stated that if a person is accellerating hard, they should be planted on the seat: I disagree.

There are too many variables to make that statement.

When you start to clarify your statement by narrowing the scope of conditions, then the statement may or may not have merit.

Something I learned a long time ago: "Never Say Never!"................ or in this case............... "Never Say Always!"

Take Care.

You stated that if a person is accellerating hard, they should be planted on the seat: I disagree.

There are too many variables to make that statement.

When you start to clarify your statement by narrowing the scope of conditions, then the statement may or may not have merit.

Something I learned a long time ago: "Never Say Never!"................ or in this case............... "Never Say Always!"

Take Care.

I said accelrating hard.. ripping through the gears, and generally you should be sitting. I guess "Never say Never" definately holds true to this case, but its still a good general rule.

Standing is a must! I'm not sure what the whole shifting thing is about. I scoot my foot up so it almost directly on the shifter and just pivot my foot. Your knees should be bent as well.

well the problem was that with my boots on in order to shift i'd have to pretty much lift my whole leg up to upshift because of no flex in the ankle... but i've gotten pretty used to it all and standing has become more second nature lately too...

I admit I have to move my whole foot to shift, I have wussy girly toes(so I can't shift with the toe, my shifter doesn't work easy), so I just have to stand on one leg and shift with the other. BUt then I think it's good to be able to occasionally handle being on one leg(your legs and knees are still up against the bike so that helps), or stand up with one leg(like coming out of a turn).