Sign in to follow this  

Decisions....125 or 250?

Looking for a dirt bike, and this is what I have available in my little podunk town. Which would you get? (I ride trails & track 50/50)

2004 KX 125 - Bone stock, only about 7 hours total on it.$2200 (price not negotiable, trust me I tried)

2003 KX 250 - No racing, just woods riding, stock. $2500 (may be negotiable..say about $2350).

Looking for a dirt bike, and this is what I have available in my little podunk town. Which would you get? (I ride trails & track 50/50)

2004 KX 125 - Bone stock, only about 7 hours total on it.$2200 (price not negotiable, trust me I tried)

2003 KX 250 - No racing, just woods riding, stock. $2500 (may be negotiable..say about $2350).

i would get the 04 kx125 it was me, i love the feel and how light the 125's are, and if it gets to underpowered on you, you can always get a 144 kit for it :)

Do you want great power and decent agility or do you want great agility and decent power?

Different bikes different strengths. I like the 125/144 thing myself. If I actually raced I would do the 250. If I just go to the track to practice I'd do the 125.

Just my take though, others have other ideas I am sure.

Good luck!

I like the 250 my self, loads of power and I just love the way it corners and pulls from way down low with out having to ride it like you stole it. but then thats my bike and my riding style.

What is your height and weight? How much off road riding have you done? These are important considerations.

If you are under 150lb and under 5'10 and have a modest amount of experience then the 125 is the way to go.

If you are 6'+ and 185lb and have some experience then it comes down to the style of riding you enjoy. Bute power and long legs = 250. Fast and frantic = 125 :)

I like 'em both. 125's are fun, 250's are maybe more versatile (that one's woodsy already, I see). Otherwise, I agree with everyone so far! :)

wow. thanks for your replies, but that just confirms why it's such a tough decision. Heh, I love how light he 125's are on the trails, and i like to rev it and ride it hard. The 250 I love for climbing hills and mx tracks, I don't spend as much time shifting, oh yeah and wheelies are fun too. :)

You don't say how big or heavy you are, and that can be an important factor in bike choice. But I'll give you my take on those two bikes, maybe that will help you.

2003 KX250: Very nice power, good spread from bottom to the upper midrange. Not much on top. Pulls smoothly and predictably, and is very vesatile for use in MX or trails. Very good suspension if you are in the 150-170 pound range. Very reliable and fun bike, with neutral handling that will do as you ask without getting you in trouble or scaring you.

2004 KX125. Sweet midrange power curve, not as much of a top-end-only engine as a typical 125. It's not the most powerful 125 you can buy, but it's not underpowered either. The power makes it versatile and easy to ride fast on, it's very forgiving of mistakes in gear selection. Excellent handling and suspension. As 125s go, it works very well for trail riding.

I'm 175. I'm not too concerned about weight though, as either bike could be set up for my weight. I am more interested in other people's experiences and comments. I have owned and ridden both in all types of circumstances. Just interested in the pros/cons of each. I'm sure both will be fun and that's really the main thing. One thing that concerns me though is that they quit importing the 125. IMO, this would make the 250 a better purchase, with parts being more available, as well as consideration of resale value if desired later.

2007 was the last year for the 250 smoker in US/Canada. I bought an 07 to replace my 02. I am a hardcore believer in 250's for technical trails. Power and flickability. I have only ridden early, light switch 125s. For me, 250 or walk. I don't know what your version of single track is but our's here in the southwest of British Columbia gets pretty nasty. The 250 works perfectly.

Damn it! I guess I'll have to convert to a 450 one day but I'm going to resist as long as this bike lasts!

2007 was the last year for the 250 smoker in US/Canada. I bought an 07 to replace my 02. I am a hardcore believer in 250's for technical trails. Power and flickability. I have only ridden early, light switch 125s. For me, 250 or walk. I don't know what your version of single track is but our's here in the southwest of British Columbia gets pretty nasty. The 250 works perfectly.

Damn it! I guess I'll have to convert to a 450 one day but I'm going to resist as long as this bike lasts!

KTM are reporting much revived interest in 2 strokes for their trail bike range and are contginuing to invest in R & D ont he 2 strokes. Yamaha kepeing htier finger in and here in NZ all the Japs other than Honda still doing the 2 strokes.

I'm 175. I'm not too concerned about weight though, as either bike could be set up for my weight. I am more interested in other people's experiences and comments. I have owned and ridden both in all types of circumstances. Just interested in the pros/cons of each. I'm sure both will be fun and that's really the main thing. One thing that concerns me though is that they quit importing the 125. IMO, this would make the 250 a better purchase, with parts being more available, as well as consideration of resale value if desired later.

Parts will be available for AGES .. no problem for my '97 KX250 for any parts and most of my '77 RM250 parts are still avail too!!

Rule that out of the equation - Just get the right bike for he type of riding you will be doing and the way you want to do it!

After reading through the comments I personally would like to have the newer bike but that is only for possible cosmetic reasons hopefully. I think you will get the best bang for your buck on the 250 because there shouldnt be any second guessing yourself for the want of more power once you settle into the bike. The 125 is such a classic bike to own and not many do any longer but the 250 should get you through anything you can throw at it. Have fun getting yourself a new ride. :)