Sign in to follow this  

Petcock issue after some down time

Here I am, almost finished with project franken-z, and the initial testing is showing signs of notgoodness. Here's my issue:

After getting the bike cranked and letting it warm up, I took the petcock off prime and put it to on. Then went tooling slowly around the hood. After a minute or 2, I lose power. To remedy this, I reach down and return the petcock to prime. After a few seconds I switch back to on...rinse and repeat.

Now for some history. I didn't intend this build to take this long...I just got busy with other things. Basically what I've done is take an SM and turn it more or less into an S. I've re-jetted the stock carb for a stock pipe at sea level...tested extensively before starting this. Everything was fine. The gas has been in the tank for at least 3 months...could be older than that. I also installed the 4 gallon IMS tank, which slightly relocates the petcock

Any takers?

Yes, pics are coming...but that takes time and I'm really only focusing on finishing the project at this point...I'm ready to ride this thing again.

there needs to be a vacume hose from the carb to the petcock

wile in the "on" or "rezurve" pozition the petcock uses a little vacume operated plunger/diyaframe to turn off the gas whin the bike is not runing

that is why there is no "off" pozition

this thread was directly next to yours.

http://www.thumpertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=307435

And I never thought to look at it since my bike is running. And that line is connected. However, on closer inspection, it may be pinched because the petcock now sits lower than stock. Looks like I need to work up a solution.

Thanks for the clue.