Sign in to follow this  

Oil overflow?

Guys, I went on an awesome ride up in Big Bear yesterday all the way to Yucca Valley. Whe I got back to my pick-up, I noticed some oil coming out of the overflow hoses on the bottom of the bike. Is this because I over filled the transmission with oil? (I'm using everyone's advice and putting 1 quart inside) Any help would greatly be appreciated.:)

Could be a number of reason, did you fall over at all? The over flow hose is just that overrrrr flowwww hossseeeee, I would not worry about it unless it was an excessive amount that coated your whole swingarm.........Doh let me edit this, your only putting a full quart in the tranny side correct ( rear brake lever side of the motor)? The shifter side with the little filter gets less than that only 23 ounces to be exact.....

Ride that puppy and have fun...........:)

Could be a number of reason, did you fall over at all? The over flow hose is just that overrrrr flowwww hossseeeee, I would not worry about it unless it was an excessive amount that coated your whole swingarm.........Doh let me edit this, your only putting a full quart in the tranny side correct ( rear brake lever side of the motor)? The shifter side with the little filter gets less than that only 23 ounces to be exact.....

Ride that puppy and have fun...........:)

Nope, didn't lay it down. Yup, the tranny side. I made sure of that. It's not enough to coat the swingarm. Is this just the weird sides of owning the 450X? I NEVER had any problems whatsoever with my old XR650r.

Guys, I went on an awesome ride up in Big Bear yesterday all the way to Yucca Valley. Whe I got back to my pick-up, I noticed some oil coming out of the overflow hoses on the bottom of the bike. Is this because I over filled the transmission with oil? (I'm using everyone's advice and putting 1 quart inside) Any help would greatly be appreciated.:)

That's the vent for the engine side, not the tranny side. No biggie........if the engine side is slightly over full, and/or you do some extended high speed WFO stuff........it'll blow out a bit of oil. On mine, the way it was originally routed, it lined up perfectly with the rear brake rotor........major bummer. I rerouted it, now it harmlessly oils the chain and counter shaft sprocket if it blows any oil.

My overflow has a cap, and clamp (stock '05)

It doesn't drain unless specifically uncapped, and drained.

:)

Sure it wasn't your air-filter being too oiled and dripping out of the orifice at the bottom of the airbox?! .... I've been there, from being in a hurry.

That's the vent for the engine side, not the tranny side. No biggie........if the engine side is slightly over full, and/or you do some extended high speed WFO stuff........it'll blow out a bit of oil. On mine, the way it was originally routed, it lined up perfectly with the rear brake rotor........major bummer. I rerouted it, now it harmlessly oils the chain and counter shaft sprocket if it blows any oil.

That makes sense cuz I topped off the motor oil closer to the upper mark on the dipstick. Plus, I was riding just a little faster than I normally do :)

My overflow has a cap, and clamp (stock '05)

It doesn't drain unless specifically uncapped, and drained.

:)

Sure it wasn't your air-filter being too oiled and dripping out of the orifice at the bottom of the airbox?! .... I've been there, from being in a hurry.

Your engine side vent doesn't have a cap and clamp on it stock for sure......it will vent freely.

In a seperate sump engine, the tranny side doesn't really create pressure....except in extreme circumstances (filled with water). The engine does, and will happily blow oil out if overfilled.

Good point about the airfilter.........that's a pretty common source of "oil leaks" hahahaha. Definitely a possibility.

Your engine side vent doesn't have a cap and clamp on it stock for sure......it will vent freely.

In a seperate sump engine, the tranny side doesn't really create pressure....except in extreme circumstances (filled with water). The engine does, and will happily blow oil out if overfilled.

Good point about the airfilter.........that's a pretty common source of "oil leaks" hahahaha. Definitely a possibility.

Damn... blonde moment again... I forgot about the one I re-routed with the vent cap on the end. :) Thanks Eric for going easy on me. haha....