Sign in to follow this  

Magura Blood (red vs blue)?

The clutch fluid in my 07 SMR510 is red but most of the bottles of Magura Blood I have seen have blue fluid. What's the difference? Does it matter which I use and/or if the two get mixed?

Thanks

I believe the red is the fluid that came with the system. The blue is a replacement for the red. The red has a lower boiling temp and can cause the system to fade. I think if you mix the two you will end up with a purple, better than red but not as good as blue. Flushing and replacing with blue is you best Magura bet. Hope this helps.:)

• Like 1

It does, thanks.

So after I get the bleeder kit with the blue fluid what is the best way to flush the red stuff?

open bleeder valve and pump out red blood while adding blue blood to the reservoir, until only blue blood comes out bleeder valve. Hope this helps.

Attach a clear hose over the bleeder and route the hose into a 1 liter clear plastic bottle (add a little fluid to the bottle) if you keep the end of the clear tube in the bottle below the fluid level in the bottle, when you pump the fluid through the system this will prevent air from returning to the system. The clear tube will also allow you to see when the old fluid has made its way out of the system. This should take away a decent amount of the mess.

:D

Magura blood is ATF, you don't need Magura blood...its just more $$ You can safely run Fork Oil, Mineral Oil, or any ATF... NOT brake fluid (only in brembo)

BACK BLEED is the way to go... same with brakes, again though you don't need a kit- you need a syringe from a farm/ feed store (not with a needle) and a chunk of hose- 3/16" best is rubber not poly stuff cause it seals better and a 2 clips/clamps.

adjust the master Cylinder so it's level

take off cover

fill syringe

attatch hose to bleeder

crack bleeder open

push fluid- it will overflow the master cyl

push it all through- enough to flush the system

while still pushing tighten the bleeder with an open ended wrench..

check and rebleed as needed...

:)

this syringe and hose will be used for your clutch, your brakes, and adjusting fork oil- good to have

Any specific ATF?

The hardware store just down the street has 99.9% pure mineral oil. Should I be worried about the boiling point using the food grade stuff?

I may swing my the Honda dealer on my way home and check the 5W fork oil as well.

Thanks again.

I got mine from CVS (mineral oil) on advise from a KTM guy.

Works fine.

I think $1.99

Any specific ATF?

The hardware store just down the street has 99.9% pure mineral oil. Should I be worried about the boiling point using the food grade stuff?

I may swing my the Honda dealer on my way home and check the 5W fork oil as well.

Thanks again.

Nope, just plain old ATF, it works great.