Sign in to follow this  

Tires for CRF 450 Dunlop 773 vs Starcross MS3

I have been looking for a replacement tire for my CRF450X with an 18'' rear wheel.

Yes that's right an 'X' and aorund here we ride 50% of the time in sand.

I currently run Dunlop 756 front and rear ... All of my buddies arre hooked on Michelin Starcross MS3 (soft to intermediate terrain) .... however they only come in 19'' wheel sizes.

I don't necessarily want to run a paddle as I do a lot of trail riding (and the occasional visit to the track)

I was looking at the Dunlop 773 on their website and they seem to have a similar tread pattern ???

I was wondering if you the CRF450R (19'' rear) crowd have any input on this ??? :)

I run the 773 0n my bike. It hooks up great the only thing that I don't like is that it wears out prety quick. I go through 2 a season. I only ride trails and in Michigan its mostly sandy. The front tire is also pretty good I like it better than the 756. Hope this helps:thumbsup:

Thanks for the info, since half of our season is already gone, I just might try one out ! ....

How is it on the more Hard packed / woods trails ? Does it slide out a lot in corners on the harder stuff ?

I have been looking for a replacement tire for my CRF450X with an 18'' rear wheel.

Yes that's right an 'X' and aorund here we ride 50% of the time in sand.

I currently run Dunlop 756 front and rear ... All of my buddies arre hooked on Michelin Starcross MS3 (soft to intermediate terrain) .... however they only come in 19'' wheel sizes.

I don't necessarily want to run a paddle as I do a lot of trail riding (and the occasional visit to the track)

I was looking at the Dunlop 773 on their website and they seem to have a similar tread pattern ???

I was wondering if you the CRF450R (19'' rear) crowd have any input on this ??? :)

what are you NOT liking about the 756 ??

Dont really know of a better rear (756 110/90)other than the fact it wears pretty fast, about 4 rides for me. But if your not riding alot of tracks then the 739 front is really good for trail riding. It's more a waffle tread pattern which puts more rubber on the ground (more surface area)than a more aggressive tread. It just wont work well on muddy tracks where they water a lot. But everytime I hit the desert or single track I throw on old faithful MR. 739..:D

That fits with the coments that I heard in the 450X forum .. the D739AT seems like a good 'Enduro' tire

I don't hate my 756 rear,... I just thiought I might try somethin' new this time!

then someone in there knows what the are saying because I switch tires alot and that 739 up front does work and also it seems to last for about 4 races and longer if your primarily trail riding.

GOOD LUCK!!

I have 756 on the front ,and a 773 out back. Mich. rider were we have lots of sand too. In the sand they are great , in med. dirt still work very good. Were we ride we go in ,and out of sand ,rocks , roots ,and med. to med. hard dirt , and i really like combo , and the wear is really good too. I like to run 11 1/2 pounds to 12 in the front , and 11 pounds in the rear. You`ll like them. We ride single track , the tighter the better.

I run exactly the opposite as tig53... For years I have been running a 756 on the rear and a 773 on the front. I ride a pure sand MX track and trails with a mix of sand/mud/rocks. For the sand track, both work well. But for the woods, I like the 756 on the rear because it really holds up, but the 756 front doesn't seem to grab as well as the 773. But the 773 wear out fairly fast, which is why I just put on the Michelin S12. It seems to work just as good as the 773. I have about 150 miles in the woods and it seems to be holding up better. The jury is still out, but I think I am changing. Here is my suggestion:

Put a Dunlop 756 on the rear, Michelin S12 on the front, then hold it wide open!