Sign in to follow this  

Is anybody building a "supersingle" or 450moto?

So I was really interested in the Super Single or the 450 moto conversions that were going to be cheap and fun for use to run at track days. Then we waited for ever for Roland and the Gavin to come up with the kits :D

They post that you can buy the full bike for 15K :) How is that supposed to be cheap when you could go buy Ducati 1098 for that price...

Has any body started to build one?

They post that you can buy the full bike for 15K :) How is that supposed to be cheap when you could go buy Ducati 1098 for that price...

The plain Jane 1098 is $16k. The race oriented ones are $21k and $40k.

And the cost to run a Ducati on the track is as important as the buy in cost. But you can certainly build an SV650 (or other mid-sized twin) based racebike for alot less then $15k. I miss the TZ250's. They were fast, fun, and cheap to run.

I'd like to do one but like said above, a track SV is much more budget minded, but those supersingles sure do look like a ball of fun!

Yeah I wouldn't exactly call them an affordable way to get into racing. More like a marketing scam!! haha

You're right an SV or any other 600cc supersport will spank one of those bikes, be less maintenance and cost WAAAY less.

The idea is great but to build an affordable one you probably have to have some fabrication skills to do the job.

If you already own a 450 supermoto bike, you are part of the way there.

However - I would love to see the 450 single class open up the rules at the local races to allowed non-fairing supermoto bikes - if that is the road we want to go.

A fairing bike would be faster down the straights but to keep the cost down let the class be open at first.

The only rule that would be needed is that all rides would have to ride knee down to make sure all of the bikes on the track are following the same lines.

Knee down riders vs foot out riders run different lines and end up crossing at one point.

I bet that crafty people can find TZ fairings - make them fit on the 450 bike.

The tanks on the 450 singles are only covers over the stock tank. The rear clip bolts right to the stock subframe with a few made brackets. Rear sets are modified off RR bikes and made to fit the moto bikes.

A crafty person could probably build a bike for grand or two if they already own a supermoto bike.

they are talking of a spec mufler, a sealed engine, although i don't know how they will police that. you can buy the fairing kit, and clip ons, with fork and shock work you are still looking at about 3,500 or so plus your bike, still not a bad way to go. :):D:worthy:

The only rule that would be needed is that all rides would have to ride knee down to make sure all of the bikes on the track are following the same lines.

Knee down riders vs foot out riders run different lines and end up crossing at one point.

Sorry, you can't make that rule. Racing sometimes involves taking different lines. The faster way around the track will always come out.

Basically a lowered motard with exhaust and light engine mods. Any suggestions on how to lower stock suspension, or do I need to buy stock street bike suspension?

Anyone know of fairing kits that have lights?

So I was really interested in the Super Single or the 450 moto conversions that were going to be cheap and fun for use to run at track days. Then we waited for ever for Roland and the Gavin to come up with the kits :D

What are the spec's for a super single?

another option is to run a sport bike fork / front end off of a 600cc sportbike. Such as a R6 or ZX6R.

Way cheaper that way.

i still see , with the rules as they are, 4,500 in fairing, rearsets, forks, shock work, spec muffler, machinework, rotors, calipers, and that is some stuff used, one nice thing is there are a lot of nice used 450's on the market right now, with the economy in the shape it is. :busted::moon:

I'm building one right now, the price tag is really base in you and what you want to get whether its brand new top of the line or base price just to get you on the track

I'm building one right now, the price tag is really base in you and what you want to get whether its brand new top of the line or base price just to get you on the track

If you could show some pics of the process when you get a chance, that would be great. Mike

If you could show some pics of the process when you get a chance, that would be great. Mike

No problem

I'm trying to get started on an XR400-based supersingle project, to use strictly as a track day bike.

I'm looking for info on a good rear wheel to fit to the XR. I am currently shopping around for a GSXR600 or R6 front end in my local area.

Drawings of what I'm up to are here:

http://www.whiterose.net/~russ/xr400gp/Pages/1.html

Yam450moto, any particular snags you've run into so far?

Russ