What to expect from proper springs?

I started riding again this year (last bike was a 81 yz250), and bought a 08 rm250. I'm just starting to get fast enough that the suspension is becoming a problem. I'm currently about 240lbs., and my understanding is that the stock springs are intended for somebody around 160lbs.

I've left the bike stock just because I've been playing around with compression and rebound settings and learning as much as I can, but it is now pretty obvious that I can get the bike right for some spots on the track, but not without screwing it up completely in others.. I'm suspect I'm just way too heavy, and riding way to low in the stroke all of the time to get any sort of reasonable balance.

My question is, if I spend the money and get heavier springs front and back, how much of a difference am I going to feel? I have no doubt that it will make things better, but just how much different is the bike going to feel?

Thanks.

It makes all the diff. you can possible imagine. I was on the light side of my stock suspension and when I would hit big jumps it wasn't if but which way I would get crossed up. Made for some very scary moments and a few crashes. First time on the track after getting new springs and was able to kill jumps and had WAY more confidence. I do recommend changes your oil in your shock and forks while you are at it. I personally use maxima, but I hear great things about DaveJ's "magic" oil. Stop putting it off and get new springs you will wonder why you kept waiting!

I reset my sag yesterday, and at 102mm, I've got 6mm of static sag. I was really surprised by that. I'll be calling tomorrow about heavier springs.

I read somewhere around here that when going to much heavier than stock springs that a re-valve is in order. Should I be considering that as well?

I reset my sag yesterday, and at 102mm, I've got 6mm of static sag. I was really surprised by that. I'll be calling tomorrow about heavier springs.

I read somewhere around here that when going to much heavier than stock springs that a re-valve is in order. Should I be considering that as well?

Yes you should. Your stock stuff is not set up for that much weight. Springs are only half the battle, Get them re-valved!!!

• 4 weeks later...

I thought I should reply with the out come:

I ended up getting a re-valve and new springs (Pro-Action did the work), and after a few minor clicker changes you wouldn't know it was the same bike. I'm easily a gear faster.

I did get what I expected; that is, I can actually land jumps without smashing my chest into the bars, and braking bumps no longer throw me all over the place (if they had only been tossing me over the bars that would have been ok...). What I didn't expect is how the handling of the bike changed at high speed. I can now actually control the front end with the throttle and rebound and skimming bigger bumps is physically possible. Also, using the suspension to control how the bike turns and how high I jump is in the realm of possibility, where before I was just hanging on and praying that everything was going to be ok.

Before coming here I spent a lot of time just asking random guys at the track what I should do, and I'm surprised how many otherwise good riders know nothing about suspension and just "leave it alone". One guy was riding last years practice bike of a CMRC MX1 rider, and was using the suspension settings it came with because that's what the pro used. I wish I had the cred. to get these guys to listen to reason, as I'm sure their riding experience would be so much more positive if they'd learn to tune the bike for their own personal needs and preferences.

I'm still not a great rider, but I can say with a lot of confidence that even after years away, I'm not as bad as I thought I was. I know its been said before, but if you get a new bike, budget for suspension work, and actually get it done (and learn how to adjust your clickers for different conditions). The difference it makes to your speed, comfort, endurance and general enjoyment is massive.

Thanks to everybody who encouraged me to get this done. ?