Sign in to follow this  

Need Advice on Used DR-Z

Hi Guys,

Yes I am new to the site. I have been riding SS bikes for 3 years now, and this year being my first for actual track riding (which is AMAZING!!):) Right now I'm looking into getting a DR-Z to commute on in town. It would be a good bike for going back and forth to class on and plus it just seems like a fun bike. I have not ridden one yet (most likely that will change today) but from what I've heard they are a fun bike....even though they are underpowered and heavy for a SM. But the "low" maintenance is what really turned me toward the DRZ.

Anyway the bike is a 2006 DRZ400 SM, Full Yoshi Pipe, Jet Kit, Air Box Mod, Air Filter....but 7000 miles on it. The guy is asking $4000 for the bike. What do you guys think about this? It seems like 7000 miles on a single cylinder motor is a lot to me, but like I said, I'm new to this whole SM thing. I've been searching on this website for the past couple days trying to learn as much as I can about these bikes and now I really just want your guys opinion on if this is a good bike to buy.

On a side note, here is what I did this summer on the Gix (one event.) Yes it is a "Police Bike" theme....No i am not a cop :lol

IMG_2240.jpg

IMG_4623.jpg

IMG_8157.jpg

IMG_3969.jpg

IMG_5469.jpg

Now as far as mileage thats not to bad. I have 11500 on mine now and when I bought it last yr it had 4000 on it. All I do is change the oil and have fun:thumbsup: well and put gas and change tires. I paid 4000 for mine last yr so the price to me seems to be in the same ballpark and mine was all stock.:worthy:

:):D

Depends on how well it's been maintained. How often the oil was changed, valves checked/adjusted, any of the common fixes been done (primary nut fix, c/s sprokcet fix, etc. Could be like new internally, or shot. :)

Well the guy said he has changed the oil every 1500 miles and lubed and cleaned the chain every 500....but again this is what he SAID. I think $4000 is a little high myself for this many miles on it. I'll have to ask him about the "common fixes" and if they've been done yet.

$4000 sounds pretty reasonable. 7000 miles is not a whole lot, aslong as everything apears to be in good condition(plastics, sprockets,contrls etc) I wlould try to nock him down a few hunderd $ or more if the tires are soon do for a change.

PS. By the look of the pics I would say you have to change out your knee pucks more often than your tires.:)

Alright, well if that price sounds pretty reasonable to you guys then i will see if I can get him down a little more and then maybe pull the trigger. Granted I still need to ride on of these bad boys to see if I even like the SM style (which more than likely I will then want to buy one haha). There are brand new D208's on it right now (500 miles on em) so we'll see.

I was really just nervous about a single cylinder bike having 7000 miles on it......I was thinking that meant time for a rebuild but hey, honestly I really don't know.

Thanks for the advice all, feel free to keep it coming.

ditch the D208s befor you try to rubb knees ... they suck that bad

IOWA ??? ware in IOWA are you and ware do you ride in your pics ???

I'm in Morning Sun 52640

I'm in Iowa City....I'm in the process right now of putting my Gixxer back to street form. The track I was at in the pix is Road America in Elkhart Lake, Wisconsin. AMAZING track. I think it's 4.1 miles, 14-15 turns.....talk about a good time. The track is so big, there are three straights where I would come out of a corner in 2nd gear and hit 6th gear wide open....front straight was 162 topped out, middle straight coming into a 2nd gear hairpin I was hitting 152 and the back straight coming into corner 12 (canada corner) I was doing 155mph, all true speeds with a speedohealer to correct the factory error and -1 front sprocket....Very fast track and can be really intimidating at first. You really learn how to late brake and just dive into the corners at this track....def would NOT recommend Road America for a motard.

But they do have a go-kart track there that would be good for the tards.