Sign in to follow this  

Compression adjuster and rebound adjuster

I see no difference in the effect of adjusting one or the other on the forks (shock, i do see a difference)

They both effect the compression and the rebound, and to me, it would seem they do so almost equally.

My point being, you could just as easily adjust the rebound side for compression adjustment and the compression side for rebound adjustment....someone steer me straight here, because I just don't see them being isolated.

Also, from personal experience, maybe two years ago, I got the compression and rebound mixed up on the forks, and at a new track, was bottoming the forks on this one take off. Accidentally, we adjusted the rebound, and it cured the problem. Now I know for sure the overlap, and everyone has said that, but to me, adjusting one has equal effect on both directions of stroke.

you are right but you are wrong, they do affect each other, but the rebound effects more than the compression, you could just use the rebound but that would be no fun :)

you are right but you are wrong, they do affect each other, but the rebound effects more than the compression, you could just use the rebound but that would be no fun :)

Im not saying it doesn't effect rebound either! But my point is....there seems to be no difference between the two...they both control an orifice size by use of needle, and last I knew, flowed about the same both directions. So do you know exactly why one effects a particular direction more than another?

That is the real question I have I guess...

the compression adjuster at the base valve doesnt affect rebound, but the rebound adjuster at the midvalve does affect compression,

so compression adjuster only affects compression

rebound adjuster affects both, roughly if you put the rebound in 3 clicks, you should take one click off the compression.

the ohlins TTX isolates totally the compression and rebound circuits.

Also mx tech and i think race tech sell a nut that goes on the shock rod to isolate rebound and compression.

i hope that helps

marcus.

Im not saying it doesn't effect rebound either! But my point is....there seems to be no difference between the two...they both control an orifice size by use of needle, and last I knew, flowed about the same both directions. So do you know exactly why one effects a particular direction more than another?

That is the real question I have I guess...

Just talking the rebound adjuster, yes its effects both rebound and compression, equally. Its nothing more than a bleed bypass of the valving controlled by an orifice size by use of a needle.

Just talking the rebound adjuster, yes its effects both rebound and compression, equally. Its nothing more than a bleed bypass of the valving controlled by an orifice size by use of a needle.

k thanks....that is what it seemed like to me!

And thanks to mog as well, after thinking about what you said, I see how the compression adjuster is more isolated.

k thanks....that is what it seemed like to me!

And thanks to mog as well, after thinking about what you said, I see how the compression adjuster is more isolated.

Another way to look at it, the comp adjuster vents cartridge pressure. The rebound does effect "mid-valve" pressure, (pressure between the mid-valve & base-valve stack) when on the compression stroke...I don't use that as a "tuning option" though, as most guys get cornfused about which way to turn their petcock much less the clickers...:):worthy::D