Sign in to follow this  

Spooky discovery yesterday

Gents,

Installed my Wapr9 SM rims and Conti-force SM tires, and Vortex 39T CAT5 sprocket yesterday, and can't express the joy!!! :D However, I also came across an unsettling discovery. The rear brake reservoir - being within 1" of the Yosh exhuast pipe, has crazed pretty badly...I assume it's the heat form the exhuast which did it, but could also be that the bike's 8 years old and the plastic reservoir is old also. I fear that it may be unsafe and might bust or rupture under braking pressure. I feel that my concern is valid, but has anyone else noticed this also? What did you do - replace, or ride? Thanks! :)

From what i've read on here, they are known to get brittle over time, that's why the CRF master cylinder is a fairly popular mod. My '07 has "swelled" at the top, and I noticed that w/ around 1000 miles if I remember right. I think a new reservior is only about $35 too.

I don't believe that the resovoir itself is under pressure (think bleeding the brakes with the resovoir cap off). I'd say it's fine unless it's actually leaking. And I wouldn't think a stock replacement would be very expensive, if only for the peace of mind.

Well, I never insinuated that mine was swelling from pressure, it just seemed like the right term, as the sides are bowed outwardly from the contour of the cap. Fairly common me thinks. :)

Well, I never insinuated that mine was swelling from pressure, it just seemed like the right term, as the sides are bowed outwardly from the contour of the cap. Fairly common me thinks. :D

I agree, swelling does explain it visually best.

Your's is swelling from visiting inappripriate web sites......:)

Same problem with the brake reservoir,and since it was the middle of winter,I cut some aluminun to fit around the reservoir then shimmed the brake cylinder out a little. No problems since.feb27004.jpg