Sign in to follow this  

valve question..yes another one :)

ok, so I pulled the valve cover off and checked my valves for the first time...wow, very easy only about 5 minutes(I already had my tank off..)

my intakes are a little low at .004, but from the posts I've read that is ok to have + or - .001 and my exhausts are waaay too tight at .005, but have also read that the exhaust ones arent the most important ones to have in spec..

the bike starts and runs great, just had the whole head redone and new piston and rings last fall and have only put about 12-15 hrs on the bike since.

Could the tighter exhaust valves be the culprit of my idle problems? Should I bother to adjust them?

thanks, Rick

Intakes at .004" is fine... When you check them make sure you have a normal/slight amount of resistance...

For the exhausts, I personally run mine at .008", I think .005" could be a little tight, I would adjust them a little looser.

Yes, you should really shim your exhaust valves to .008. Buy a hotcam shim kit and they will come with 3 of every shim you could possibly need for about $80. The more you shim your valves and the more you keep them within spec, the longer your valves will last.

Intakes at .004" is fine... When you check them make sure you have a normal/slight amount of resistance...

For the exhausts, I personally run mine at .008", I think .005" could be a little tight, I would adjust them a little looser.

by adjust, you mean shim them right?

by adjust, you mean shim them right?

yes thats what he means by adjust, i have my exhaust at .009" cause that was the gap that they were after i had shimmed them and i didnt want to take the rocker arm back off to adjust them .001"

yes, I was going to order the hotcams one. I'm just a little frustrated that they are that tight this quick(12-15 hrs ) after a complete rebuild. Makes me think that possibly they didnt cut the seats, but when I asked they said yes they did....I think from now on, I will buy the parts and install them myself after bringin the heaf in to get the seats cut. It would be nice if you could tell(and prove) that they didnt cut the seats.

then again, maybe they havent moved and they were just installed too tight???

yes, I was going to order the hotcams one. I'm just a little frustrated that they are that tight this quick(12-15 hrs ) after a complete rebuild. Makes me think that possibly they didnt cut the seats, but when I asked they said yes they did....I think from now on, I will buy the parts and install them myself after bringin the heaf in to get the seats cut. It would be nice if you could tell(and prove) that they didnt cut the seats.

then again, maybe they havent moved and they were just installed too tight???[/quote[/b]

I would'nt fret too much just yet! the chances are that the valves have just bedded in after the rebuild, reshim to spec and check again in 3 hours run time.

then again, maybe they havent moved and they were just installed too tight???[/quote[/b]

I would'nt fret too much just yet! the chances are that the valves have just bedded in after the rebuild, reshim to spec and check again in 3 hours run time.

yes, I have read tha they do "break in" an can get tighter. I hopr thats it.

I am leaving to my cottage for a holiday and was wondering if it could wait until I get back...just some trail riding and a small sandpit. I dont think I'd get the kit by the time I leave and have never shimmed valves b4, so I wouldnt want to not ahve a bike at all at the cottage.....good idea or bad? if it was my intake vaves out I would def do them b4 riding anymore....input would be appreciated. thnx, Rick

If you want to do some riding, I don't think the exhausts at .005" is going to hurt anything... But if you get the kit in time, I would shim them...

Its not hard to adjust the exhausts, the cam does not need to come out. Just loosen off the cam cap bolts (evenly), and remove the exhaust side bolts... Then take out the allen key plug in the right side of the head and slide out the rocker arm shaft. Then the rocker arm can come right out. Then you have your exhaust shims, switch them out. Put the rocker in, rocker shaft, bolts (torque evenly to 12 ft lbs), and then the allen plug in the right of the head. Double check clearances, if they are where you want them, button everything up and ride. :)