Sign in to follow this  

XR400: Scotts Forward Mount Damper

Ok, so I bought the Scotts Forward Mount damper for my XR400, which is equipped BRP top tripleclamp and fat bars.

How in the world does one route the cables in an acceptable and sanitary fashion. It seems really monkeyfooked and bushleague to have to use zip ties to keep the cables out of the way and screws in the steering stops. It seems that no matter how I route them, the cables either get pinched, stretched, or bound up.

Anyone route to cable behind the triple clamp like a Husqvarna or 650R? Anyone have some good photos of good routing? What the hell do you do with the compression release cable?

At this point, I would just go to the rear oil filler mount, but none of the big tanks I have (Clarke, IMS) will allow that, so it is the front mount kit or nothing...

• Like 1

You are back on an XR:thumbsup:

There is no good way to route the cables.......mine is a mess and

Zip tie the throttle cables (loosely) to the break line loop, zip tie the wires to the oil lines, zip tie the decompression to the base of the damper post....or just remove it if you have the stock cam. (That is what I did)

If I get a chance I will take some pictures and post them

You are back on an XR:thumbsup:

There is no good way to route the cables.......mine is a mess and

Zip tie the throttle cables (loosely) to the break line loop, zip tie the wires to the oil lines, zip tie the decompression to the base of the damper post....or just remove it if you have the stock cam. (That is what I did)

If I get a chance I will take some pictures and post them

I have always kept my personal dualsported XR400 around, I just cleared out all the others, which seem to come and go.

I was afraid that there was no good solution to the cable routing mess--UGH.

One thing that really helped was the XR's Only Mikuni throttle cables are longer that stock. That aloud the throttle cables to over the top of the damper and down the LH side of the frame

I modified my cable to a kind of soft style, and also changed the throttle cables to Mikuni. But you have to adjust the cables very carefully.

200831223213720385.jpg

20083122318799821.jpg

200831223213421657.jpg

20083122323731276.jpg

Holy cow RickRen, what is that contraption on the handlebars? You watch television when you ride? Maybe a Dust To Glory video or something?

Holy cow RickRen, what is that contraption on the handlebars? You watch television when you ride? Maybe a Dust To Glory video or something?

:) That's a roadbook & GPS holder, you never use it?

Odd...I have done complete CRF fork conversions that turned out better than this front mounted Scott's situation.

I am going with the rear mount and I'll figure out somehting with the tank.

So...I have the Scott's Forward mounting post and the matching +34 arm for sale, but not the damper--just the post and matching arm.

Anyone interested? First $50.00 shipped to your door.

It's strange that you say it won't mount up with a Clark tank:excuseme:. I have the rear mount Scotts with the bolt on post and the Clark 3.8 gallon tank, and it all fits fine on my 02 XR400R.

It's strange that you say it won't mount up with a Clark tank:excuseme:. I have the rear mount Scotts with the bolt on post and the Clark 3.8 gallon tank, and it all fits fine on my 02 XR400R.

I read somewhere that Clarke now makes the XR tanks that will clear the rear mounted post--mine is about 4 years old, so it may be the older style. I'm going to give them a call when I get a few spare minutes.

I have one of the bolt on rear mounts I do not need. PM me if you are interested.

PM sent. Thank you!

Im using the scotts weld on mount in back of the oil filler hole.With a clarke 3.8 gal tank.I had to heat the front of the tank and move it back to make it clear about a 1/4 inch.

I read somewhere that Clarke now makes the XR tanks that will clear the rear mounted post--mine is about 4 years old, so it may be the older style. I'm going to give them a call when I get a few spare minutes.

I called Clarke (I should have just gone over there, they are about 10 miles from where I live) and asked them about the supposed "updated tanks."

Everyone I talked to there, said that the tooling for the molds for the XR400 tank have never been changed, so we'll chock this on up to urban legend.

Im using the scotts weld on mount in back of the oil filler hole.With a clarke 3.8 gal tank.I had to heat the front of the tank and move it back to make it clear about a 1/4 inch.

You did exactly what I was thinking about doing. I do not mind welding the post on the bike and the weld on post looks like it has the smallest "footprint" for tank clearance.

This is how I did mine. I had no problems, but I do have the xr'sonly mikuni carb & cables.

It seems the biggest down side to the rear dampners is the access to the oil dipstick.

DSCN0951.jpg

I have a '96 Xr400 with Applied triple clamps and oversized bars. The rear mount Scott's steering damper fits just fine and the cable routing is clean. No zip ties. However, I removed the odometer and compression release since I never seemed to use them. I will post pictures tomorrow.