Yet another drz bigbore question!!!

First off, I can't believe how helpful you guys like Eddie, Broncho, William and all others here are with the whole DRZ thing.........very rare to see this kind off help anywhere without a bill being sent to your mail box! Thanks for all your input.

I am considering buying my nephews '02 DRZ400E. It has been thrashed around abit but has all the goodies like the kicker, skid plates, MCCT, etc. The bike is starting to use a little oil, how much is hard to say but my guess is around 200 mm every 300 kms. My intention is to purchase the bike and install the 440 Athena kit as it is in need of a rebuild anyway. My question is by doing this build, using the stock exhaust and cams, would this engine be pushing 45hp? Any idea what kind of torque this combo would pull? (Considering the rest of the engine is decent)

I have been reading this forum for 3 months on all the different builds and I apologize if this has been gone over before but to be honest, after analyzing the mass amount of information here, my brain has gone numb!

I would love to have your hands on this motor Eddie but the distance doesn't allow (nor does my wife:blush:)

Thanks again.

The bill is in the mail.....

Being a stock E should be about 39 Hp, a BB should get you to the 45 mark or darn close. It will be a real tractor with all the low end torque.

The one thing I feel should be mentioned is the valves. It would be a shame to spend the $500 on a BB and have one of the two piece valves let go. Also, being the head is off to do the BB, why not complete the job now. If $ are a little tight, then do the BB and save for the valves, but do keep a watchful eye on them (check them every oil change) and as soon as they begin to tighten up, plan on getting them done, post haste.

I think it would be safe to say that it would be smart to send the head out to have the seats checked and ground if necessary. The problem here where I live (Ontario, Canada), is there isn't any reliable places in my area to do a job like this. Even our local machine shop doesn't understand why you can't grind the valves on a this type of bike! A valve is a valve, isn't it??? I guess if everything plans out, I'll have to sneek some $$$ out of the house and send the head across the border.

I think it would be safe to say that it would be smart to send the head out to have the seats checked and ground if necessary. The problem here where I live (Ontario, Canada), is there isn't any reliable places in my area to do a job like this. Even our local machine shop doesn't understand why you can't grind the valves on a this type of bike! A valve is a valve, isn't it??? I guess if everything plans out, I'll have to sneek some $$$ out of the house and send the head across the border.

dont let them touch your head!

where are you in ontario? I'm in kitchener and we have an excellent motorcycle machine shop in town here.

I'm about 1/2 an hour north of Huntsville. What's the name of the shop? Thanks!

Harv, I can tell you know what you are talking about. Just ensuring clarification for other readers.

Sometimes I wonder myself. I spent about 10 years working on Rotax snowmobile engines, Johnson/Evinrude outboards and Husqvarna power equipment. 8 years ago I got out of the trade. Now looking how far technology has come in the marine and snowmobile business since then sure makes me feel outdated. I appreciate your clarification William:) .

• 5 weeks later...

Thanks Skidooer, I haven't purchased the bike yet as my nephew is still in limbo whether to sell it or not. I can see this will be a winter time project if it happens. Keep me posted how it works out for you.