Sign in to follow this  

Pioneer Town or Lucerne Valley - where to start?

We are thinking of a Sunday ride around the Holcomb Valley starting from either Lucerne Valley (near Grapevine Canyon Road and Powerline) coming up Grapevine Canyon, or alternately from Pioneer Town/Yucca Valley/Pipes&247 area.

We've never started from these places before. In both locations, is there a good place to park for the day? The last thing I need is to worry about is whether my truck is OK while riding. The closer, the better. Where would you park?

We are thinking of a Sunday ride around the Holcomb Valley starting from either Lucerne Valley (near Grapevine Canyon Road and Powerline) coming up Grapevine Canyon, or alternately from Pioneer Town/Yucca Valley/Pipes&247 area.

We've never started from these places before. In both locations, is there a good place to park for the day? The last thing I need is to worry about is whether my truck is OK while riding. The closer, the better. Where would you park?

Dual purpose or all offroad?

DP - both bikes have plates.

Not too familiar with the Powerline area you spoke of however, if you were to stage at Soggy, map out the area where rattlesnake canyon is. That'll take you up into the mountains (back side of Big Bear), not exactly sure where...I've been up there once a long time ago, majority of what we did was offroad however, we dropped off into the Yucca Valley area just north of the circle K/76 station. One of our guys had to fill up to get back. We road 247 back up into Landers/Johnson Valley.

Yeah, that's kinda what I was looking at on the map, but I thought we'd start out closer to Rattlesnake or Grapevine Canyon roads.

How far away is Soggy from the start up into the canyons?

Coming from OC, it might make more sense (shorter drive) to start out at Pioneer/Yucca than LV or Soggy.

Geez, I just did a YahooMap and Yucca Valley and Lucerne Valley are about the same distance for me (within 10 miles!). So I could start from either.

Geez, I just did a YahooMap and Yucca Valley and Lucerne Valley are about the same distance for me (within 10 miles!). So I could start from either.

Yup, Johnson Valley is just about square in the middle of both! Rattle snake Canyon isn't too far east of Soggy (across 247 of course)...5 miles maybe???

Cool. So there's plenty of places to stage at Soggy? We'll check it out and start from there.

Thanks again for your help.

Barry