Sign in to follow this  

Boring a 410 to a 610

So after finding out I actually bought a 410 instead of a 610, I'm interested in the most efficient solution of making my engine the actual 570 ccm's (or more, wouldn't hurt :) )

I have come up with several solutions:

a)LEAST EXPENSIVE, MOST WORK - Bore the cylinder to TE610 spec ( 98 mm ) putting in a 97.94 mm Wössner piston, new conrod, and replacing the crankshaft with the one from the TE 610 (TE 410 has 60 mm of piston stroke, TE 610 has 76 mm )

b)COMPROMISE - Buy a new TE610 cylinder, piston, conrod and crankshaft, have them installed at the dealers

c)MOST EXPENSIVE, LEAST WORK - Buy a whole new TE 610 engine in good condition (hard to come by)

So which option do you think is best, if I bought a new cylinder I could possibly even bore it out to a larger displacement (620 ccm or so...tasty:applause: )

Would I need to do any changes to the cylinder head or the bottom end (other than the crankshaft)?

Thanks

The 410 and 610 are so completely different that you will not be able to bore etc with any degree of success. I say that advisedly; some people WILL do the impossible regardless of cost or difficulty.

Why are they different? They aren't one bit different from the outside. Only difference I can see is the bore and stroke. If there is something obvious I'm missing, then say. I want to at least be informed on the task I'm facing.

Sorry for the confusion; the newer 410s and 610s are completely different. Your 1996 is not.

OK, I guess that makes it quite a bit more possible then? Any idea on what parts I'd need to replace in the bottom end (other than the obvious- crankshaft) and if I would need to do anything with the cylinder head?

Thanks

provided the crank goes in flawlessly & is not too big, you will need the conn. rod, a new cylinder, and piston & most likey a head, the entire top end of the engine including the cam chain. Also, I think the carb will be a different size on these 2. If so, you may not be able to rejet it properly. This is going to be an expensive undertaking to say the least. Also, you're going to be loosing some major ride time. Considering you were talking of boring the cylinder to get it to 570cc's, I'm going to say that you probably don't fully undertsand just how big of a task this is. I'm not bad mouthing you or trying to insult you, but I'm trying to help by saving you some trouble here. Plus, once you get it all back together, there is a very good chance you'll spend countless lsot hours trying to get it all to work right. I would find someone who knows about these bikes intimately & see what they think. I'm pretty sure that you're not going to find anyone who wants to take on this project. I'm absolutely sure, you're not going to want to pay what it would cost to do. I don't know what you paid for the bike, but if it's in great running condition now, bthe best bet would be to sell it, take the extra $2,500 this mod will cost you & buy yourself a sweet ass 610 like you want. Not trying to bust your bubble here, but once you start in on this you're going down a road that is not easily traveled & if you're not careful, you'll find yourself walking.

Should drop right in. Looks like a weekend job. Take pictures when your done, like to see it!

You might be money / work ahead by selling the 410 and buying a 610.

That's kinda what I was thinking. It pretty hard to recoup any investment in a twelve year old machine and older 610s can be had fairly cheap, even one that is only a few years old should be pretty reasonable.

If you really love you're ride and need more power I guess you can jusify it but I think the smarter apporach would be to find a 610 and sell off the 410.

That would be my approach as well.

quantum112 - how is the used bike market in Croatia? Many on TT are in the USA, and personally I don't have a clue what the bike market is like over there.

provided the crank goes in flawlessly & is not too big, you will need the conn. rod, a new cylinder, and piston & most likey a head, the entire top end of the engine including the cam chain. Also, I think the carb will be a different size on these 2. If so, you may not be able to rejet it properly. This is going to be an expensive undertaking to say the least. Also, you're going to be loosing some major ride time. Considering you were talking of boring the cylinder to get it to 570cc's, I'm going to say that you probably don't fully undertsand just how big of a task this is. I'm not bad mouthing you or trying to insult you, but I'm trying to help by saving you some trouble here. Plus, once you get it all back together, there is a very good chance you'll spend countless lsot hours trying to get it all to work right. I would find someone who knows about these bikes intimately & see what they think. I'm pretty sure that you're not going to find anyone who wants to take on this project. I'm absolutely sure, you're not going to want to pay what it would cost to do. I don't know what you paid for the bike, but if it's in great running condition now, bthe best bet would be to sell it, take the extra $2,500 this mod will cost you & buy yourself a sweet ass 610 like you want. Not trying to bust your bubble here, but once you start in on this you're going down a road that is not easily traveled & if you're not careful, you'll find yourself walking.

right

Should drop right in. Looks like a weekend job. Take pictures when your done, like to see it!

wrong

right

That's kinda what I was thinking. It pretty hard to recoup any investment in a twelve year old machine and older 610s can be had fairly cheap, even one that is only a few years old should be pretty reasonable.

If you really love you're ride and need more power I guess you can jusify it but I think the smarter apporach would be to find a 610 and sell off the 410.

right

I've already bought a Keihin FCR MX 41 which should be on spot for a 610 engine. If I am going to do any of this, I'm going to do it in peak winter when I won't be doing much riding at all. As for the cost, the cheapest thing

might be to actually buy a used engine. I've found a bored out 620 ccm

TE 610 engine on ebay but it's in Germany and requires pickup. Not sure how I'd pull that off though.

That would be my approach as well.

quantum112 - how is the used bike market in Croatia? Many on TT are in the USA, and personally I don't have a clue what the bike market is like over there.

Considering the economy in this country bikes are still considered a very expensive luxury. A brand new chinese scooter costs about 4500 KN, and the average pay here is 2800 KN. A brand Husky costs 73000 KN, which is 25 times the average pay here. I see folks on TT having 2-3 bikes, some even up to 5 :D which, sorry, but from my view is pretty crazy.

But America's standards are light years ahead of Croatia.

If I could afford a brand new TE510 or TXC450, believe me I would,

and be rid of all the problems, but there's no one here who could tune

the iBeat...:)

As for the used bikes market, you can see from my case, bikes being

sold under what they aren't just to sell higher, screwing helpless people

over. Everything is terribly overpriced.

In Germany I see TE 610's being sold for 2200 - 2300 EUR, in superb condition, those are years 2000, 2001. etc. I bought mine, a year 96,

and a 410, for 2100 EUR, which, compared to those bikes, is a wreck.

Another thing is that Husqvarna in Croatia is only a popular brand when

it comes to lawn mowers and other garden equipment. 9 out of 10 people

when they see my bike, have no idea what the hell it is, and most can't

even pronounce it when I tell them. I think there is about 70-80 Huskys

in the whole country. That's why it's very hard to find one being sold,

especially in good condition. Selling my 410 would take a few months,

I wouldn't get half of what I paid for it, and it's a question when the

next 610 would pop up.

I've already bought a Keihin FCR MX 41 which should be on spot for a 610 engine. If I am going to do any of this, I'm going to do it in peak winter when I won't be doing much riding at all. As for the cost, the cheapest thing

might be to actually buy a used engine. I've found a bored out 620 ccm

TE 610 engine on ebay but it's in Germany and requires pickup. Not sure how I'd pull that off though.

Considering the economy in this country bikes are still considered a very expensive luxury. A brand new chinese scooter costs about 4500 KN, and the average pay here is 2800 KN. A brand Husky costs 73000 KN, which is 25 times the average pay here. I see folks on TT having 2-3 bikes, some even up to 5 :ride: which, sorry, but from my view is pretty crazy.

But America's standards are light years ahead of Croatia.

If I could afford a brand new TE510 or TXC450, believe me I would,

and be rid of all the problems, but there's no one here who could tune

the iBeat...:worthy:

As for the used bikes market, you can see from my case, bikes being

sold under what they aren't just to sell higher, screwing helpless people

over. Everything is terribly overpriced.

In Germany I see TE 610's being sold for 2200 - 2300 EUR, in superb condition, those are years 2000, 2001. etc. I bought mine, a year 96,

and a 410, for 2100 EUR, which, compared to those bikes, is a wreck.

Another thing is that Husqvarna in Croatia is only a popular brand when

it comes to lawn mowers and other garden equipment. 9 out of 10 people

when they see my bike, have no idea what the hell it is, and most can't

even pronounce it when I tell them. I think there is about 70-80 Huskys

in the whole country. That's why it's very hard to find one being sold,

especially in good condition. Selling my 410 would take a few months,

I wouldn't get half of what I paid for it, and it's a question when the

next 610 would pop up.

DHL, or a similar caririer should be able to pick it up and deliver it for you, just depends on what you want to spend with them.Make sure the engines are the same as the electric start and the kickstart models aren't compatible for chains etc.

If bikes are expensive over there then why would you accept less money for your bike, a limited market means you should still get a reasonable price for yours.

The carb is a good buy btw, I have one on my 570smr race bike ( bored to 100mm so it's a 603, and then things get expensive:eek: ).

:):D

Also make sure you put the 610 powerband in.

The 410 and 610 parts are easy to confuse, but if you hold them next to each other, you'll see see the 610 powerband is much wider. It would be a tragedy to do all that work and not get that nice wide 610 powerband.

Just kiddin.

Also make sure you put the 610 powerband in.

The 410 and 610 parts are easy to confuse, but if you hold them next to each other, you'll see see the 610 powerband is much wider. It would be a tragedy to do all that work and not get that nice wide 610 powerband.

Just kiddin.

Hahah, was wondering what you were on about there...👍