Sign in to follow this  

2005 450 ?

hey guys.My buddy just bought a 05 450,already he is doing the valves,putting the stalk ti's back in it getting his seats remachined,and replaced the piston and rings.My question is.after the rebuild is complete.Will his bike be good for a long time or will he be doing this all the time.He is very good with doing oil changes all the time ,every 10 h,does mostly pit riding,the odd trip to the track.Its his first four stroke,loves the power,but swears if this is going to be a regular thing,yard sale!!!

Don't forget to replace your old valve guides! If you neglect to do so, you will likely be doing a valve job again soon.

If he uses a good machinist or buys a new head, he should have many hours of trouble free riding. If he uses a poor machinist, he be working on it sooner than later.

I'd suggest an aftermarket intake valve, I put Kibblewhite's in my '05 after 65 hours of ride time. I've since put another 50 hours on it completely trouble free.

And yes I change my oil/filter, clean my air filter, shift WAY before the thing hits the limiter etc. etc. etc.

Do a search. There are plenty of examples of 50+ hours without even checking the valves. Maintenance plus keeping it off the rev limiter are both important to long life.

I bought my 450 brand new in '05. This won't say much for me, but I never even checked the valves until I had 100 hours on it and it began to start a little hard. mx-4-2 is totally right. If you keep off the rev limiter and change the oil regularly there is no reason why, with his riding regimen, he couldn't go years without touching the head again.