Sign in to follow this  

E Engine Vs. S/SM Power Difference

I have a quick question for anyone with experience riding the offroad "E", vs. the S/SM. How much is the power difference between the two bikes. I have ridden the "S" and currently own the SM, but I have never ridden the "E" model. I may pick a 2001 E model that is CA plated tomorrow. The owner has jetted it, and has a Yoshimura slip on exhaust, other than that it's stock. He described the power as night and day difference as he had owned an "S" before. I was going to buy the bike if the price is right to have a plated offroad bike, so I don't have to do wheel swaps on my SM every time I want to ride some dirt. If anyone can respond that has ridden the two and knows how they feel I would appreciate it, thanks!

Stock, the difference is about 6+ Hp. Add the pipe, could be as much as 10 Hp over a stock S/SM, that is a 33% improvement.

Oh wow, I could see how he would state "night and day" difference then...thanks william! Anyone else?

parts that are the key to the power are

CARB

CAMS

PIPE

and that the cylender bace gasket is thinner this rases the comp to make more power

here's the dyno comparison between the 'S' and 'E' model that Eddie posted up last time. It's about 6hp difference.

http://www.thumpertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=372634&highlight=drz400e+hp

My previous DRZ is a 'S' model, now riding a 'E'. stock to stock, the power difference is big.

Thanks man, and your right, big difference. After riding the SM it make sense now how it acts on higher RPM's. Basically after 7K RPM's the S/SM falls on its face and the E keeps climbing up to 9.5K RPM's and the power doesn't fall off. Thanks that's what I was just looking for!

True, I forgot you have to do carb, pipe and cams to and S/SM to get them up there. I bet the E model with a good carb tune and slip on would increase it 2-3 hp so it should be over 40. Has anyone had an E model and dyno'd it with a correct tune (jetting) and a slip on or full system and with stock cams/displacement?