The official RM144 review lol

The 2004 Eric Gorr RM 144 with race gas head and “mo better everywhere” porting which is designed to broaden the power band is what I got. Here is my overall impression of it. It is strange.

You know how a 125 is frantic and pipey, well it is no longer like that. I mean it is, kinda, but kinda not. I mena the pipe is still there it is just not in your face. In truth the bike feels slower. I mean that in a good way. Remember, I said it "feels" slower. One thing I noticed first off is that I am ripping through the gears up to 4th gear as I always do and I never really felt myself get there. You know the frantic 125 hit and scream, yet, at the same time, I was saying to myself dayuuum, I am freaking going fast here. It seems like I got there faster. Like I said, it is strange. It is like a 125 but not really yet it is. Feels slow but you go fast, faster. It is pipey but the pipe starts sooner and is broader and with less hit comes less sensation of speed.

Another thing I noticed, you can go into a corner and drop the speed without needing to down shift. Half way though the turn just start to roll on throttle. If you get stuck or bog too much, a quick stab or two of the clutch and good night! No need to downshift.

The bike also does has extra oomph to help throw you over long table tops, it is just not super noticable. it is there though. At 180 pounds that really helps. You know how to clear jumps on a 125 you have to hit the jumps balls to the wall(assuming your not 130 pounds) where a 250 can just lug along and throw itself over the jump with a twist of the grip on the face? Well the 144 is better than a 125 but not as good as a 250 in that regard.

Overall the power is noticeable and really improves the bike everywhere. The difference is not in your face blatant but more subtle. My 150 pound 450F riding buddy remarked “that thing has the juice now! That thing has power everywhere!” Yeah, I would agree, power is broader yet it is subtle at the same time.

I’ll tell you what it does do though. It makes riding it a hell of a lot easier. I am not sure of that is good or bad though. I liked the frantic nature of the 125. I do not want a 250. So, the good thing is that the overall character or personality of the 125 is not gone, it is just calmer. It does all the 125 things, it just easier with less panic. The hit is less yet you go faster. Turns are easier but not 250f easy. Like I said, it is kinda strange to ride.

I sum it up like this. You notice the effects of the power more than you notice the power itself. If that makes sense.

Would I do it again, oh yeah, you betcha.?

picture004mediumjn2.jpg

• Like 1

The 2004 Eric Gorr RM 144 with race gas head and “mo better everywhere” porting which is designed to broaden the power band is what I got. Here is my overall impression of it. It is strange.

You know how a 125 is frantic and pipey, well it is no longer like that. I mean it is, kinda, but kinda not. I mena the pipe is still there it is just not in your face. In truth the bike feels slower. I mean that in a good way. Remember, I said it "feels" slower. One thing I noticed first off is that I am ripping through the gears up to 4th gear as I always do and I never really felt myself get there. You know the frantic 125 hit and scream, yet, at the same time, I was saying to myself dayuuum, I am freaking going fast here. It seems like I got there faster. Like I said, it is strange. It is like a 125 but not really yet it is. Feels slow but you go fast, faster. It is pipey but the pipe starts sooner and is broader and with less hit comes less sensation of speed.

Another thing I noticed, you can go into a corner and drop the speed without needing to down shift. Half way though the turn just start to roll on throttle. If you get stuck or bog too much, a quick stab or two of the clutch and good night! No need to downshift.

The bike also does has extra oomph to help throw you over long table tops, it is just not super noticable. it is there though. At 180 pounds that really helps. You know how to clear jumps on a 125 you have to hit the jumps balls to the wall(assuming your not 130 pounds) where a 250 can just lug along and throw itself over the jump with a twist of the grip on the face? Well the 144 is better than a 125 but not as good as a 250 in that regard.

Overall the power is noticeable and really improves the bike everywhere. The difference is not in your face blatant but more subtle. My 150 pound 450F riding buddy remarked “that thing has the juice now! That thing has power everywhere!” Yeah, I would agree, power is broader yet it is subtle at the same time.

I’ll tell you what it does do though. It makes riding it a hell of a lot easier. I am not sure of that is good or bad though. I liked the frantic nature of the 125. I do not want a 250. So, the good thing is that the overall character or personality of the 125 is not gone, it is just calmer. It does all the 125 things, it just easier with less panic. The hit is less yet you go faster. Turns are easier but not 250f easy. Like I said, it is kinda strange to ride.

I sum it up like this. You notice the effects of the power more than you notice the power itself. If that makes sense.

Would I do it again, oh yeah, you betcha.?

picture004mediumjn2.jpg

I rode Ebecks rm144 today. I think RCannon said it best: If your not prepared to own one of these bikes or have the money to do it dont ride it haha.:D

Its hard to express in words how incredibly fast and fun this bike is. I figured the 144 would just make it better but I had no idea it would make it this good. It runs like a 250f no joke. Torque everywhere and never bogs. You feel like your on a rocketship. I think anyone who has a 125 should get this done. If half of the 250f riders could try out a similar bike I think many would switch. It pulls like a 250f but in a lighter, cheaper, funner package.

I may want one :worthy:

I rode Ebecks rm144 today. I think RCannon said it best: If your not prepared to own one of these bikes or have the money to do it dont ride it haha.?

Its hard to express in words how incredibly fast and fun this bike is. I figured the 144 would just make it better but I had no idea it would make it this good. It runs like a 250f no joke. Torque everywhere and never bogs. You feel like your on a rocketship. I think anyone who has a 125 should get this done. If half of the 250f riders could try out a similar bike I think many would switch. It pulls like a 250f but in a lighter, cheaper, funner package.

I may want one :D

ok i'm sold, teardown this winter, merry christmas to me.

It is worth mentioning, we were at a long outdoor MX track with lots of elevation changes, deep soft dirt and several rutted uphill sandy sections and 2strokenut iis 6'3 and 230 pounds.
It sound like the 250/ 125 i always wanted, good chance I'll go this way.?

Mine is an 04, the cylinder is differet than the pre 04's. Not sure what the power curve is like on bikes other than the 04. The 04 had more low/mid than most 125's so the broad power porting fattend the already wide power.

Mine is an 04, the cylinder is differet than the pre 04's. Not sure what the power curve is like on bikes other than the 04. The 04 had more low/mid than most 125's so the broad power porting fattend the already wide power.

Thanks for the tip, I'll research throughly to make my decision, at the least I'll do a stock top end anyway. The set-up I have now runs real good, just needs freshening up. there is about 100 hrs on it, and its slowing down and starting to ooze goo at the pipe.

• 6 months later...

Bringing an old thread back up... How is maintaining one of these like? What fuel are you guys runnning? Are you getting around the same amount of hours out of them as you would a stock 125?

Thanks,

Tim