Sign in to follow this  

I really want to but....

Alright well, I've got sort of a dilemna here. I have a 08 YZ250f and I LOVE it! I got it about a month ago and it's got a whole bunch of goodies (see garage). I wouldn't think you can get any better than it. But after reading the 4 stroke guys talk about how much it costs for valve maintenance and engine rebuilds, and etc. I know damn well I'm not gonna be able to afford it when the time comes to do all that stuff. And it sucks because I really like this bike.:)

So I'm starting to look at the 144 and the new 150 sx. I'm really liking those because, well, cheap maintenance and I don't have to worry about valves and doing all the strict maintenance that comes with a 4 stroke. And apparently they have more power than my 250f. I'm kinda gettin the itch to get back on a 2 stroke too, and it's only been a month coming off of an 85.

But I just wanna know what the performance difference between my 250f and the KTM would be. Handling, suspension, feel, power, etc. Suspension is a HUGE deal for me because I only weigh 125 lbs. and I had my 250f set up perfect for me with Enzo suspension. But anyways I just wanna know the differences. There will probably be a lot more questions to come

Thanks guys!

I have ridden a 2002 YZ250F and the powerband is similar to my 2004 200SX (MX version). Stock is about 37 hp for the 200SX.

The YZ250F is the most reliable of the 250F bikes. I agree, ride it.

Kevin

Nice YZ-F. Why not just ride that bike? A new bike cost more than any rebuild...

True, but I could just sell both of the bikes I have and get a KTM. If I could, I would have both.........but I'm not winning the lottery any time soon.

I probably will stick with my YZF just because I like it so much, but either way:excuseme:

I'm no 250F expert but 4-stroke maintenance is blown out of proportion. My 4-stroke lasted for years with just one reshim of the valves. Nothing else except oil changes and cleaning the filter. Ride your 250F until your bored with it then buy something else.

but what 4 stroke, proper modern 4 stroke do need the maintainence or they don't last, were's bikes like the old suzuki GS 250's you could simply take an angle grinder to the shims for valve clearnces ocne every 5 years and do the oil while you were in there and be good.

The whole valve train deal has been blown a little bit out of proportion, unless you own a Honda. Okay, that was a cheap shot, but I know too many people who've blown em up. The trick is to get a mechanic or someone in the know to teach you how to adjust your valves. It isn't rocket science. You can learn to do it. Most importantly, i don't see how a person can afford not to do it. Two strokes are great fun, but so is the 250f. Don't give up just yet.