Sign in to follow this  

"E" base Gasket and Cams but "S" Carb?

Just wondering...if looking for a little extra power on a budget, can the "S" engine be made to work well with an "E" base gasket and "E" cams but without the FCR carb?

More than anything, I'm just looking for an opportunity wrench and don't really want to invest in the FCR setup at the moment. I'd just retain the stock Mikuni for now.

My "S" currently has a Pro Circuit T-4 slip-on with unknown jetting (previous owner said it's a Dynojet kit but couldn't recall any specifics of what he installed) and a K&N filter. I'll do the 3X3 mod as soon as I have a chance.

TIA.

Tipsy

Doing the base gasket is not worth doing unless the engine is apart for some other reason. At minimum, you'd need a base and head gasket, circlips, coolant, all for .2 hp. Better to save for the FCR.

The E cams will give you a nice boost though. However, dollar for dollar, the FCR is the best money spent.

I 2nd this

Doing the base gasket is not worth doing unless the engine is apart for some other reason. At minimum, you'd need a base and head gasket, circlips, coolant, all for .2 hp

I was able to get a set of "E" cams off Ebay for $100 and installed tham into my SM runing the stock Mikuni ---- they ware worth it for $100 but aney mor money the hot cams are a better buy

the E cams really help the motor at all RPMs but only make 2 more HP ... it is just more fun to ride now that the motor has the cams that it was dezind for

I was able to get a set of "E" cams off Ebay for $100 and installed tham into my SM runing the stock Mikuni ---- they ware worth it for $100 but aney mor money the hot cams are a better buy

I saw a set of used "E" cams yesetrday sell for $99. I'll keep my eyes open.

Thanks.

Tipsy

yeah make shor they are E cams

ask the seller what letters are stamped into the cams

The A & B stampings are indicative of "E" cams, correct?

Tipsy

I replaced my S engine with an E engine reusing the stock S carb. I had the E exhaust before the swap. There is a difference in power. My buddy says it sounds better with the different engine, although I don't notice it, but I notice it has a little more umph at all speeds.

My gas mileage improved somewhat too. I had gotten 65mpg before with the S engine but only on real easy tankfulls, I averaged around 60-62 mpg. Now it gets 64-67mpg all the time with the same driving style. I like it. BTW I am at sea level with the stock carb. If I was any higher in elevation, I think I'd for sure do the rejetting because it would probably need it to run right. At first, I thought I'd have to rejet because the idle was hanging a little bit and it seemed to surge a little more than before, but it has worked itself out, it idles normal and smooth now and seems to surge no more than before. I do have a big windshield that I think is the biggest cause of the "surge", I think it's mostly the wind buffeting me around.

I have thought hard about the 3x3 and rejet but I'd really hate to give up any of my mpg's, plus spend a hundred bucks doing it.

The E engine does require higher octane, I experimented to see if it really needed it and yes, it needs it if you are going to give it much throttle under a load.

HTH :)

Just wondering...if looking for a little extra power on a budget, can the "S" engine be made to work well with an "E" base gasket and "E" cams but without the FCR carb?

not yes but he77 yes,

I'm not on here much anymore but I used to be,I run a original hotcams intake,a opened airbox,E base gaskt,DJ needle, (not going to give exact size of airbox hole,I honestly couldnt make myself happy with 3X3 I was either a touch rich or a touch lean so I jetted a touch rich and kept witteling on airbox in very small increments untill I was happy,not recomended unless you want lots of extra work) my jetting is as perfect as lots of expearmenting and a butt dyno can get it and I can outrun stock E's all day long,I'm not gonna post my jetting either,I have but it just leads to conflict on here,easyest and most sencible way I'm sure is FCR,but if you are willing to take the time to change jets and needle multiple times, you can make the s carb work pretty dang good.I also run a powerbomb header now,however I was outrunning stock E's in acceleration before powerbomb,and that was with jetting, in.cam,modified stock muffler and basegskt only..