Sign in to follow this  

'85 XR350 oil pump cover or pump

I'll try to make this short. A small chunk of metal that looks like the head of a screw, but is not, lodged itself between the oil pump drive gear and one of the bolts securing the oil pump to the case. This cracked the outer (A) cover on the pump. In fact, it's now in two pieces. Well, this causes all sorts of mayhem due to the lack of any oil circulation except the oil that gets splashed around or carried to the top end by the cam chain. Anyway, most of the destroyed parts can be found, with the exception of the oil pump cover. I've done exhaustive searches on ebay, etc. Bike Bandit notifies me that there are none known to be in stock by any suppliers in US. Hmm. I've looked at a photo of the pump for an '83-'84, and they do not look the same. My guess is that the dry sumped '85 has a different pump.

Any advice?

Do you have a part number? I'll see if there is any stock in the UK.

I only have the part # from Bike Bandit (3838766-001). I don't know if that correlates to Honda's #'s or not. I wouldn't think they'd go to the trouble to come up with their own part numbers, but... Thanks for the effort, I really appreciate it.

This just in. For you intrepid problem solvers out there, a new bit of information. I believe I have discovered the origin of the little chunk of metal that caused the oil pump gear to jam and break the outer pump housing. Yes boys and girls, how exciting. Just to one side of the hole in the clutch cover where the kickstart shaft passes through is a small boss in the forging of the cover. One can see where a pin used to be but has since tore out a portion of the boss and left the scene of the crime. It seems this pin was an integral part of the kickstart/decompressor mechanism. Since I have owned the bike the cable has not been connected and the cam arm that rides on the mechanism is in an inoperable position. Whether this pin broke out of its mooring recently or previously, I'm not sure. Now, having this bit of knowledge does not allow the bike to be reassembled nor allow me to once again ride the mountains of Colorado. However, I thought my fellow moto-sleuths might find it interesting. Again, any help finding either the pump, pump cover, or an engine I could buy for parts would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Hi, you can get the oil pump as a complete assembly and it seems reasonably priced to me $68.57 the original part has been superseeded, new part #15100-KN5-672 Honda Part there is no mention of not available see if you can checkout.

Thanks NoelA! I looked on the site and decided to order the pump assy. as a whole. I probably won't know until tomorrow if the part is actually in stock. Thanks again for your efforts, maybe I'll be back riding in a couple weeks.

Glad to be of help, hope it works out OK. Nothing worse than having a bike and it being out of action.:)