Sign in to follow this  

2002 650R --I know zero about this bike, need basic help

I usually spend time on a different area of thumpertalk, but I am here in the Honda world because I am helping a friend get his neglected '02 650R up and running. Ex-wife wouldn't let him get near the bike for a couple years til divorce was final. His kid took it out an it died on him. (also has an XR400 that's going to be next). Well now he's got bike and I'm going to get it going for him to sell. There is no owners manual. I need to know if this bike is shared sump or not and the oil capacity. Any help would be appreciated--- I know absoulutely nothing about this bike.

• Like 1

oilcap is 1.7qt w/ filter change

what do you mean shared sump? its a dry sump? oil stays in frame while running? does that help?

we can help with it all... hang around!

what do you mean shared sump? its a dry sump? oil stays in frame while running? does that help?

I know the manual says 1.7qt w/filter change, but I'm abe to squeeze 2 full quarts in mine every time. When oil quits coming out of the crank case drain I kick it over slowly a few times. You'd be surprised how much more oil comes out. I'd say...oh...about .3 quarts. :)

I'm not the only one either...poke around on here a bit. Others are putting in 2 quarts after filter change.

If you want to download a service manual to help on your quest, then check here... http://downloads.hondatech.info/Moto/XR/Honda_XR650R_manual.pdf

There is also a ton of useful info here...http://www.thumpertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=653373

I know the manual says 1.7qt w/filter change, but I'm abe to squeeze 2 full quarts in mine every time. When oil quits coming out of the crank case drain I kick it over slowly a few times. You'd be surprised how much more oil comes out. I'd say...oh...about .3 quarts. :)

I'm not the only one either...poke around on here a bit. Others are putting in 2 quarts after filter change.

If you want to download a service manual to help on your quest, then check here... http://downloads.hondatech.info/Moto/XR/Honda_XR650R_manual.pdf

There is also a ton of useful info here...http://www.thumpertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=653373

You can "Squeeze" more than 2 qts in...It doesn't mean its the proper amount?....Its one of the most common mistakes with this bike? Its a dry sump motor...it doesn't need that much oil.

Since it has to idle and not be run higher or it won't read properly, and you need to check it within 3 min after shut-down and not immediately but not too long.......Not reliable in my opinion, so the only way I know I have enough is by putting the "Recommended" amount in to begin with!

You can "Squeeze" more than 2 qts in...It doesn't mean its the proper amount?....Its one of the most common mistakes with this bike? Its a dry sump motor...it doesn't need that much oil.

Since it has to idle and not be run higher or it won't read properly, and you need to check it within 3 min after shut-down and not immediately but not too long.......Not reliable in my opinion, so the only way I know I have enough is by putting the "Recommended" amount in to begin with!

Just from reading on here, I know there is "the great oil capacity debate" goin on. But, I know if I put in 2 full quarts that puts my oil level about a quarter inch below the full mark on the dipstick. When I'm filling it and checking the level, I'll start it and let it idle. I don't rev it.

If you don't slowly kick it over a couple time with the crankcase drained there is a lot of oil left setting in there. I'll even lean it over a bit to get even more out. I'd bet if I didn't do that 1.7qts would be right on the money for filling it back up.

I wasn't doubting you, I was only stating my experience with mine.

I wasn't doubting you, I was only stating my experience with mine.

Its all good, ...since it is a dry sump motor very little is in the motor while running the frame is the holding tank and so a few hundred cc's may not make that much difference. With regular changing intervals you can't go wrong.

I normally put around 1.9 to 2 full quarts in mine. But im always wondering just how hot should i let the motor get before i check the dipstick. The hotter it gets the more the oil will expand right? Normally i let the bike get to 150-170 degree's on my vapor before i check the level.

Oh yeah i wouldn't try to do an oil change without the Manuel if you know nothing about the bike. Search XR650R oil change on the internet and you will proble find a step by step instruction guide:thumbsup:

Quote: "Ex-wife wouldn't let him get near the bike for a couple years"

In regards to the EX part about the wifey: Your friend made the first and best step toward getting that bike in shape again!!:D:):worthy: Now THAT is advice I don't think you'll find here!

the oil becomes thinner as it gets hotter?

if you just check it after a ride, or idle it for 5 mintues then check that will be fine.

it isnt a case of the oil expanding that makes it come up on the dipstick, its the oil being pumped around. out of the sump where it slowly creeps down into when its not running. :)

i also get more than the manual says in there, without over filling. takes about 2quarts too the top of the dipstick with filter change.

the xrs are very simple, theres isnt anything i can think of thats tricky too perform once you know how maintenance wise.

but feel free too ask any questions :D

http://www.xr650r.us/ is a big help and every XR650R owner should start here.

Once you get going and want to biuld it up or set it up to ride fast and get some air then go to this site. www.borynack.com/XR650R

I was just playing around with the gearing chart and its very accurate, it just takes some time to read over and understand:thumbsup:

You are absolutely right. I am a retard and missed the "R" part. :D

Just pretend I didn't say anything. :)

:banghead::worthy::ride: No! Haven't seen him for months......:) I had the XR680R name for awhile so he couldn't have that one. I forgot my password for the XR680R and someone else got it:excuseme: Did you run into him? If you do make sure your nice :D

:banghead::ride::banghead: No! Haven't seen him for months......:D I had the XR680R name for awhile so he couldn't have that one. I forgot my password for the XR680R and someone else got it:excuseme: Did you run into him? If you do make sure your nice :worthy:

Will do!:)

The answer to his question is yes its a shared sump..

The engine and tranny "share" the same oil .. unlike some that keep the two seperate from one another...

...When oil quits coming out of the crank case drain I kick it over slowly a few times. You'd be surprised how much more oil comes out. I'd say...oh...about .3 quarts. :) ...

i wondered when i first saw this posted...cudn't u be pumping the oil outta the pump and feed lines where it's no longer primmed for the next start-up???

:D

i wondered when i first saw this posted...cudn't u be pumping the oil outta the pump and feed lines where it's no longer primmed for the next start-up???

:D

You know, I've never even thought of that. I would say that is highly possible.:worthy:

I've never really thought about the oil capacity and the reason for it. What I mean is; I add oil until it's right below the "full" mark and that takes 2 quarts. With the old "oil bath" or "splash" methods of lubrication, low oil is not a good thing. For that reason, I make sure it is "full." But, I've never even taken into the consideration the dry sump and that "extra" oil is unnecessary.

This is just a perfect example of why I "need" to spend hours daily on TT. :)