Sign in to follow this  

LIttle help?

97 XR400 "sumo"

I was pulling out of a parking lot today and the light turns red, so I pull the clutch to shift into neutral and the rpms shoot to wide open throttle (without me doing)

I hit the kill switch and shut the bike down. Pushed the bike out of traffic and kicked it, drained the float bowls and tried to fire her up for the next 2.5 hours before I threw in the towel.

I checked the seals on the carb both into the cylinder and into the air box, I checked the headder for cracks or leaks to no avail, leaned the bike over and drained the fuel (out of the top vent hose) as well as cracking open the lower float bowl screw to completely drain the fuel. Also checked the petcock.

I did get her to start a few times, but the same scenario (revving to WOT) however when I put the choke lever all the way up the bike would almost idle for a bit but would eventually start to rev out.

I'm stumped, any advise?

Thanks in advance.

Im pretty sure its only a carb problem, and I am considering just picking up a pumper carb and be done with the whole deal. Waiting on a price from my buddy at Sudco.

I would like some confirmation though that its just a fuel issue and the pumper would "fix" the whole mess.

If it was parked in public did someone mess with your idle? Are your throttle cables moving when you twist the throttle? Can you hear the needle / throttle valve assy (?) hit the bottom when you let go of the throttle (with the motor off)?

Definitely no "foul play". Cables are good, and seem to be working (not binding), I did not hear the needle valve but I was on a noisy street.

Thanks for the troubleshoot, I ended up ordering a Mikuni pumper carb from a friend at Sudco. Put that on Saturday. I still have some cable tension adjusting to do as it runs, but the cables are not letting it function correctly.

Today after work I plan on having her all dialed in so I will be on the street again in no time.