Sign in to follow this  

Need advice - son moving up to a bigger bike

Hi,

I'm needing help here, my son is 13 1/2 yrs old, 5'2" tall, wt about 125

He currently rides a TTR125 & a RM80, He's too big for both, likes the TTR for the trails & the RM for MX. He wants a new bike REALLY bad, but he's growing so fast, I'm worried about what to get him. I ride a CRF230, and he's ridden it around the camp and on a flat track he handles it well, so well that it scares me. He has great hand/eye coordination. So my delimma is what's next?

Any advice?

Thanks.

wheels on a small wheel 85 are 17/14 on a big wheel 85 the 19/16 just a little bit smaller than a 125 or theres the rm100 and kx100 its a bigwheel 85 supermini i would get him a bigwheel 85 then let him get a 125 but thats just my 2 cents

At 13 years old and 5"2", he's gonna grow like a weed in a bucket of steroids. I would consider a CRF150R BigWheel (or something similar), or a two-stroke 125 (YZ,RM,CR, whatever). It really depends on what he wants to do with the bike. If he's MX, he'll need a racing bike (such as the YZ,RM, blah,blah). If he's off-road, I'd suggest the CRF250X or the WR250F.

My son is 12 and over 5'4". He currently rides an RM85 but he as with your son has outgrown it. He has been riding our spare bike which is a Honda XR200 and it fits him great. However his next bike will be a Kawasaki KDX200 which he's getting in the fall or spring. There are lowering links available for it if needed. This bike is for trails.

If he races then my advice would be to keep him on his RM until he grows into a larger motocross bike.

Hi,

I'm needing help here, my son is 13 1/2 yrs old, 5'2" tall, wt about 125

He currently rides a TTR125 & a RM80, He's too big for both, likes the TTR for the trails & the RM for MX. He wants a new bike REALLY bad, but he's growing so fast, I'm worried about what to get him. I ride a CRF230, and he's ridden it around the camp and on a flat track he handles it well, so well that it scares me. He has great hand/eye coordination. So my delimma is what's next?

Any advice?

Thanks.

Get him a KTM 85 large wheel, then as he feels the need for more power, all you need to do to covert a KTM 85 to a 105 is a new cylinder, piston and powervalve. Everything else on the 2 bikes is identical, I mean everything! So it would be like buying 2 bikes. My grandson rides/races a 07 KTM 85SX small wheel (17/14) we will lace it to the larger wheels so he will have the 85 large wheel, then we will do the top end when he is ready for the 105 (so its really like 3 bikes). At 13, your kid should be on a large wheel now. The 85SX would need a flywheel weight and a spark arrestor to make it better suitable/legal for public lands.

At 13 years old and 5"2", he's gonna grow like a weed in a bucket of steroids. I would consider a CRF150R BigWheel (or something similar), or a two-stroke 125 (YZ,RM,CR, whatever). It really depends on what he wants to do with the bike. If he's MX, he'll need a racing bike (such as the YZ,RM, blah,blah). If he's off-road, I'd suggest the CRF250X or the WR250F.

Thanks everyone for the good input, what I might have him do is research his choices and we'll go through a process of elimination, I'm sure he'll take to it, knowing he has a stake in what the next bike will be. I appreicate all the good suggestions.

I bet he's itchin' to get that 230 on a trail...

I bet he's itchin' to get that 230 on a trail...

Oh yeah, he took my 230 on the flat track at Hollister, and had the best fun, said he got it into 4th gear, (not sure I believe him) I told him Ok now, my turn to ride.

Now that school is starting, I am holding good grades over his head as an incentive for a "new" bike.

He's a good kid.

my son was about yours size at 13. I had him on a big wheel kx80. then at about 14 moved him to a yz125 and at 16 moved him to an rmx250, all 2 strokes. Mine was pretty tenative riding, till he got on the 250......

I would say as others have, it depends on what ya'll are doing. My son struggled on the 125, but it was because we took him goat trail riding all the time. I would say the next bike to be something in the big wheel catagory,

then a 125 2st or a 250 4st.

have fun and keep them riding.

My step-son grew fast between 13 & 15. He was too big for his 80, but seemed small on the 125. He grew into it though, and loved it. The nice thin gabout the 125 is that even if its a little big, its super light. Then we got him a KX250F about a year & half later. Now he's 18 and on a KX450F.

I'd go with the big bike, especially if he's track riding. We did mostly track, with a little trail riding. He really did take to it quickly, especially cuz he wanted it so bad!

We just got my son a KDX220 and he absolutely loves it. It's his most favorite bike so far. It's tall for him but by spring I'm sure he'll be plenty tall. He grows overnight. It's shocking. He commented that he likes the RM85 for the track but that's it. The KDX has it everywhere else for him.

I agree with this.A 150RB will suit the trail and the track,and they are a tall bike.The only thing is he might out grow it pretty fast.A 125 or 250F might be a little big for him for awhile.The other thing to consider is another big wheel 2 stroke 100, but limits the class he can race in.I wish they had the 150RB when my kids were at that stage.It's a neat bike.👍