Sign in to follow this  

DR650 Shutting off in the trail!!!

Hello everyone! I am a new member and a new owner of a 94 DR650. I do a lot of my riding in the woods in southern ohio in the Wayne National forest. The last few times I have been riding i have noticed that when I am off of the throttle (Going down hill etc.) the bike will just shut off. It will start back up fine but it will just shut down cold turkey. I also noticed that every so often it will stutter when I give it throttle. It comes back very fast but it is starting to become annoying. I do most of my trail riding in 1st and 2nd gear. It runs fine on the road and all. I did notice that my choke stopped working the other day. I used to start it with the choke on and let it warm for about 30 sec or so but now when I try to choke it it wont idle. It will start and then die. The bike starts fine without it I just thought maybe this was an indication of something. Please let me know if you have any suggestions. Or if anyone is looking for a riding friend as I do all of my riding alone.. unfortunately.

As for the bike setup. 94' just under 6K Stock except for a supertrapp exhaust. Not jetted! (but hopefully doing it soon. I am nervous trying to do it myself).

Thanks

Clean your carb carfully and make sure your airfilter is clean too. Go ride it and let us know how it goes.

I was afraid I needed to pull the carb. I am not very mechanic when it comes to intricate pieces like the carb. Do you think it has anything to do with the fact that the jet is stock and it has an after market pipe? And why the heck would the choke stop working? I guess i need to bite the bullet and check out that carb..

Do you have a side-stand safety switch?? if you do.... that might be the culprit.

Jesse

Do you have a side-stand safety switch?? if you do.... that might be the culprit.

Jesse

that's one possibility but i'm leaning more towards a lack of fuel problem somewhere since he didn't say anything about it happening when hitting bumps but only when going down hill or letting off the throttle... dirty carb etc...

the carb isn't anything to be afraid of. it's pretty simple once you get it off and break it down. one thing you might want to do when you do get it off is drill out the air/fuel screw cover(if it's not done already, do a search for it if you're not sure what i'm talking about) and also you might want to replace the stock bolts on the bowl of the carb so you can change your main jets without taking the whole thing off the bike. i just slotted mine for now but plan on getting some allen head bolts for it.

Does sound like a fuel problem, from the choke situation (used to help with starting, now bike dies with choke) I'd say it was on the rich side. If you're worried about pulling the carb off then try cleaning the air filter first & see if that improves things. If not then as said, the carb's nothing to be scared of - just don't "clean" the jets with a strand of wire brush as this would damage them, just blow through with airline/spray oil etc.

If it is running rich (plug will tell the clearest story) then also check the float valve is sealing OK & that the float hasn't leaked & it's height is set to spec.

if you're going to check the plugs keep in mind that depending on how you shut down may dictate how the plugs are going to read... i believe you generally want to be running in gear and warmed up then shut down, coast in to a stop and then check the plugs for the most accurate... i usually just take a ride then on my way up the drive way i get enough speed to coast to the top parking spot and kill the bike before i stop etc... then check them. not sure how much of a difference it really makes but i like to be on the safe side :)

Yeah, I've heard of doing this but TBH have always just gone for a good ride to get everything up to running temp & then just shut off as soon as I get back, not allowing it to idle for any amount of time. Don't think it makes an awful lot of difference (unless the idle circuit were ridiculously out of tune to the rest of the carb, I suppose.) :D

Main thing is just don't check them if you've been stuck in traffic idling or only been round the block as the temps won't be in the normal range.

P.S. Not to teach you to suck eggs, but don't tighten the plug too much if you put it back in warm. only just nip it up, any tighter & it'll go rock solid when the motor cools. :)

I will test the plugs as soon as possible. Should I check both plugs or will one be a good indication? just start the bike up ride it down the street and shut it off before it can idle? then the color of the plug should be a brown right? what do the other colors indicate? Thanks for all of your help guys!

you want to run it for a little while so it gets to 'running temp'... or you'll get a false reading. so go for a ride and when you get back shut her down and pull the plugs...

+1 on being careful putting plugs back in when warm :)

So I just tested the plugs. If I am looking at them correctly (the top and the inside needle if you will...) it looks like a very light brown. the plug is not black really anywhere. It is darkest around the top ring where the opening is but not a charcoal black just a darker brown. This means it is running a little on the lean side? which should be correct because of the supertrapp and stock jetting? Thanks all.