Sign in to follow this  

First ride tomorrow!

I will be taking the 05 X out tomorrow for my first ride!! Got new Kenda 760 track masters front and rear! Brush guards re-installed. Fresh forks, ( rebuilt). Jetted, 170 main 48 pilot. Fresh oil motor and trans, went with Rottella both sides. I will let you all know if this machine is what everyone says it is. :)

Were, Son and I (he is on four wheels, 03 250 Ex) are going to Wellsville. I hear it won't be open much longer so going to go enjoy it now. Until I get back, take care.

Tim

I will be taking the 05 X out tomorrow for my first ride!! Got new Kenda 760 track masters front and rear! Brush guards re-installed. Fresh forks, ( rebuilt). Jetted, 170 main 48 pilot. Fresh oil motor and trans, went with Rottella both sides. I will let you all know if this machine is what everyone says it is. :D

Were, Son and I (he is on four wheels, 03 250 Ex) are going to Wellsville. I hear it won't be open much longer so going to go enjoy it now. Until I get back, take care.

Tim

sounds good. post up some pics :)

:)

Happy to report a great first ride. She ran great! Did about 75 miles all together. This place I rode is pretty tight and many big hills, some of which I did not quite make it up. And unfortunately I bashed the header a bit on one as I was turning it around, jumped back on, ooh shit, crashed! Fell and landed on a big rock. Oh well, it still ran good, haven't decided what I'm gonna do about that yet. The fork seals started spewing after about 50 miles, gonna have to get that taken care of. I was kind of surprised of the weakness of the front brakes. I just bled them and they still seem soft? The front end seemed a bit, how can I put it, seemed harsh over a small jump so i lightened the comp. it seemed to wash out in turns? I guess I gotta play with the adjustment and the air pressure. She is heavier and taller than the KTM, top heavy maybe.

Overall it is a screamer! Love the power when I need it, controllable too! Pictures to come.

Tim

Did you get fork fluid on the brake pads? if so i am sure that is why the front brakes feel soft.

Get your suspension properly set up for you and they whole bike will be perfect!

The oil wasn't on the disc. I think I am just used to organic pads and I believe these are sintered. That and the front end may not have been adjusted correctly. Here is a picture of my pipe. I can't afford a new one, Probably get this fixed. PICT1531.jpg Also notice the burnt on material from my riding pants. Damn that pipe gets hot. I got two burned knees, (don't ask). The radiator shroud started to melt too! Anyone else have this happen?

Tim

Also notice the burnt on material from my riding pants. Damn that pipe gets hot. I got two burned knees, (don't ask). The radiator shroud started to melt too! Anyone else have this happen?

Tim

Yup I have the same pipe on my 05' 450X, I've got over the boot pants, ...I went fo a few rides and after leaving some nylon on the pipe I started to consider a heat shield ...

http://www.thumpertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=663648

In the end I bought a carbon fiber heat shield /protector made by E-line (Moose Racing) http://www.elineaccessories.com/shop/Details.asp?ProdID=141&category=7

no more burnt pants ! ... The guard has only deflected one minor wipe out in the sand so far so I can't say how it would hold up in a good crash in the rocky stuff ... 👍

a little bit expensive but seems to do the job for now

My header looks the same, but the bike seems to run fine. Is it just cosmetically annoying or does a dent like that really restrict air flow enough to make a performance difference?

You can probably fill the header with water and throw it in the freezer for 24hrs to remove that dent. A lot of people say it really works well.

You can probably fill the header with water and throw it in the freezer for 24hrs to remove that dent. A lot of people say it really works well.

Do a search for header repairs on TT... Ive used the method of freezing to iron out some dents similiar to that and had a good outcome... But it just depends on how bad the dent is.......

Good luck.

I am trying the freezer trick as we speak. I will let you know the results tomorow. Just got done taking the forks off and back to the shop tomorrow too.

Get a pair of Seal Savers or Fork Skins to slip on there before you put the forks back on. Not the ones with Velcro either, and slide a piece of aquarium tubing over the ziptie so your fork protectors don't wear on the skins

DSCF0320-1.jpg

Before Seal Savers-2 sets of seals in 1 year, no problems in 3 years since:thumbsup:

I took the forks back to the shop, he said he will take care of them. Good guy out at rt20 powersports. If your in the area check them out. He will order a set of seal savers too. I don't think the freezer trick is going to work, trying again today. Here is a couple pics of the trip.

18A.jpg

21A.jpg

22A.jpg

That hill is named scooby doo! Look close at the last one, thats me on the hill.