Sign in to follow this  

DRZs (400) Rad Fan Needed?

While resting before the next uphill at Hancock I noticed a strange buzzing from my rad. Upon inspection I found my rad fan blade assy had separated from the motor, no doubt an unnoticed result of an "incident" with a tree a month before in "da UP" of Michigan.

Anyway I used some permatex black silicon "16B" and actually did a pretty decent job of re-attaching it, it's centered better than I thought would be possible. I test ran it hooked up to my car batt for 20 min. doesn't vibrate much and it's still solid.

Now I'm thinking, do I even need this fan? While it wasn't attached I never saw the temp warning light go on. I surely wasn't keeping it cool by constantly running at 25 mph when off-road, I'm lucky if I averaged 10 mph thru Hancock!

Any thoughts?

Thanks, Drew

While resting before the next uphill at Hancock I noticed a strange buzzing from my rad. Upon inspection I found my rad fan blade assy had separated from the motor, no doubt an unnoticed result of an "incident" with a tree a month before in "da UP" of Michigan.

Anyway I used some permatex black silicon "16B" and actually did a pretty decent job of re-attaching it, it's centered better than I thought would be possible. I test ran it hooked up to my car batt for 20 min. doesn't vibrate much and it's still solid.

Now I'm thinking, do I even need this fan? While it wasn't attached I never saw the temp warning light go on. I surely wasn't keeping it cool by constantly running at 25 mph when off-road, I'm lucky if I averaged 10 mph thru Hancock!

Any thoughts

Thanks, Drew

I have an E model myself (no rad fan) and never have had overheating problems, even dune riding with a paddle in 90F heat, and it's plated for street use and has done just fine in stop and go traffic. For a long time, it was my one and only steed, and rode many many miles of singletrack with no boilage on just plain old green antifreeze.

That said, the E model does not have the thermostat like an S model.

If you choose to ash-can the fan, pull the stat while you're at it.

I rode Hancock also with my 07 S. I removed the fan when I installed the IMS 2.6g tank. It wont fit with it. I removed the T stat and put in the E gasket. No over heating at all at Hancock. The only time I get it to overheat is when Im hanging arrows or pulling them down during my clubs enduro. I can get the hot light to come on in long tight sections, but I think the sensor is set at a very safe setting so the fan would come on early.

My fan comes on perodically when ridding tight trails, or hot streets. I have a ridding buddy who has overheating problems on his KTM525. We put a computer fan on it. Works very well!

I have an 08' S and I think it's only came on 1-2 times. I'm kinda thinking it's not working. I need to get it looked at.

Never even knew drz's came out with fans. My e Model from new never had one, should I be concerned?

Just for a off topic question...why do fans pull air through a rad? What would be wrong with mounting it infront, and pushing the air to the back? I know stones and bugs would be a problem, but ever since I was a little dude I wondered about it. A fan blows stronger than it sucks, right? If so, I can't think of a reason it shouldn't work.

Just for a off topic question...why do fans pull air through a rad? What would be wrong with mounting it infront, and pushing the air to the back? I know stones and bugs would be a problem, but ever since I was a little dude I wondered about it. A fan blows stronger than it sucks, right? If so, I can't think of a reason it shouldn't work.

If it's mounted behind the radiator the air must pass through the rad. If it's mounted in front of the rad most of the air won't go through the rad. It will "Bounce off" and go around the rad instead.

A pusher fan is very inneficient.

Never even knew drz's came out with fans. My e Model from new never had one, should I be concerned?

The S and SM models were equipped with fans and thermostats to prevent overheating in stop and go traffic conditions.

The E models have no fan, and no stat, since they were never intended for uses like that.....while you may be moving slow in a tight, technical woods situation, you're moving.

I only know of my fan coming on once, and it was sitting idling in my driveway after a hard ride. Oddly enough it was in the 60s outside at the time. I later took it on a singletrack in 90+ temps and didn't get much faster than the middle of second gear, and never noticed it coming on.

My uncle turns his E off at longer stoplights because he doesn't have a fan. I don't know if that's really necessary or not. He has a vapor so maybe he knows his water temp and shuts it off if he sees it past a certain point.

If it's mounted behind the radiator the air must pass through the rad. If it's mounted in front of the rad most of the air won't go through the rad. It will "Bounce off" and go around the rad instead.

A pusher fan is very inneficient.

I disagree, i run a single pusher 10" fan on my scca solo2 track car (integra type R) to gain clearance for a long tube header. The car sees track days with 90-100 degree temps and 9500 rpm revs constantly and the cooling system stays well below my target temp, even cooler than the a stock dual 12" fan setup! That one 10" pusher has twice the CFM of two stock 12 incher fans.

A small computer fan would work fine for a DRZ. If you mounted it as a pusher style you would gain clearance between the tank and rads but the fan would be more succeptable to a impact from debris. Small 6" hi volume automotive fans can be sourced, i run a 6" pusher setup on my oil cooler because its not mounted in an area where it can get optimal flow so the fan helps keep the temps down on the really hot days where im running 10 sessions and revving to the moon.

The core of a radiator is flow through so no matter the fans configuration it will still flow air through the radiator as long as there isnt an obstruction in the fins.

As long as the blades are formed for the application your using it for, pushing or pulling, and youve got it hooked up so it spins the right way, you wont have any problems with either set up.