Sign in to follow this  

The noise was fecked gearbox!!

Hi again guys...Thanks for the input last time...Turns out that the gearbox on my 1990 dr 650 is a little bit shagged...Wat i was wondering is ...Will a 1998 engine slot into the frame of my 1990 dr...Im asking because i have found an immaculate 1998 engine for cheap...I cant really be bothered going for the whole engine strip down if i could just replace the whole lot...any thoughts?...its great to get feedback from people that know what the're talking about....

cheers.....Will

The two motors are totally different. Your motor has right side header port and the 1998 has left side header port. The oil coolers are on opposite sides as well. If you were looking at just a direct swap, the newer motor will not do the trick.

If you could mod the frame to fit the engine, it would be nice to have. The newer engine is a great motor. No more adjusting counter balancer chains!

Didn't realise you were in Scotland. If the 98 motor is from a DR650SE, it will not fit.

Ok.......Thats why i gave a post here...plenty info....Thanks for that....its just not woorth me spending a whole lot of money on n old dr.....I would love to see it ripping about again but a fecked gearbox is a fecked gearbox....its missing teeth....!!!! Btw....I bought the bike like that 4 weeks ago...was just wondering....Im a 2 stroke boy....got a beautiful FANTIC 450 SINGLE 1982...It would be great to see this DR going good again tho.any tips from people as to go about fixing it would be spot on...

cheers.....

Will