Sign in to follow this  

My Kitty Has to be Nuked!

Just found out today that my cat is hyperthyroid (he has lost 2 lbs) and we’ve decided to have his thyroid nuked with a radioiodine isotope. He will be gone for 10 –14 days at a special center that specializes in advanced nuclear medicine for cats. Has a 95% success rate, so I’m stoked! Our other options were surgery, or taking pills twice a day. He is going in for a chest x-ray and labs tomorrow morning and will have a scan done on Sunday. After his scan, we are going on vacation for the week, so the timing is good since we can’t be near him for almost two weeks. He will be 16 years old in September and aside from having a little upper IBD (controlled with a steroid every other day for the last 3 years), he’s in awesome health for a big old dude… still playful and has all his whits about him. He at one time weighed in at 17+ lbs and is my gentle giant (kinda like my hub, haha). Doesn’t hiss, scratch, bite, nothing… just a big love bug. He comes from a champion line of big Ragdoll show cats (his great-grandpa was a grand-champion show cat named, Thunder who weighed in a 22 lbs.). We bought Thunder's grand-daughter (my cat’s mom) back in 1988, a month after we got married. She was very sick as a kitten and grew up to be a pain in the butt ~ didn’t like anyone but me (uncharacteristic for Ragdoll’s). Her saving grace was she was absolutely gorgeous, blue point with huge blue eyes (she hated my husband, haha... he teased her once with the dustbuster and she never forgave him). I tried breeding her once, and drove many miles to this catery, but she didn't like any of the guys there and she attacked the owner’s wife (haha). The only cat she ever fell in love with was the cat next door! She ended up getting knocked up by this alley cat and produce a littler of ½ breeds, which turned out to be not only gorgeous, but have been the best dispositioned-dream cats you could ever wish for (her son is the cat I have now).

All of the cats from her litter remained in our family, but each one has suffered from some sort of autoimmune disorder. My mom had the brother to my cat, which she just lost 2 weeks ago to diabetes (just before we left for Kennedy Meadow’s), he was my cat’s twin brother. My brother had the sister, which got cancer ten years ago and died. Shows you that when cats/dogs become over bred, they're at risk for passing on all kinds of genetic/autoimmune problems, as was the case with my litter. We had no idea, and suspect that our original cat (the mom) was probably an undiagnosed diabetic herself.

My cat is now the sole survivor of this whole clan. I need prayers for him that this procedure is as successful as they say, and if he has tumors, that they’re benign. I’m not ready to let my gentle giant go! I’ll update his condition when we get back.

TOTALLY not what i thought you were going to say, lol.

good luck with it all, and have fun on your vacation! we're leaving for pismo on wednesday... yay!

TOTALLY not what i thought you were going to say, lol.

good luck with it all, and have fun on your vacation! we're leaving for pismo on wednesday... yay!

yeeeeeeeeah same here. hahahaha

not a cat person but loosing a pet sucks, hope it works out for you. :)

I guess that does sound a little funny, haha.

I hope this works too, thanks!! Same price (if not cheaper than surgery). The surgery has more risks and would remove part of his thyriod, which could possibly grow back. Supposively, this has been pretty sucessful (DirtMomma, the center is in the Irvine/Tustin area and there's also a center in LA). The doctor is from UC Davis, 22 years pioneering this and has treated over 10,000 cats nationwide. I have good vibes about this!

reminds me of the time we had a big old fatty kitty who kept getting UTI's. he was 15 or 16, and was one his 5th one in 2 months. the vet said we had to do a sex change on him, so he could lead a normal life. when he said that, my brain did backflips trying not to laugh in his face. we did it, he was fine for a few months, and then became coyote bait.

the things they can do for animals now is just mind blowing.

reminds me of the time we had a big old fatty kitty who kept getting UTI's. he was 15 or 16, and was one his 5th one in 2 months. the vet said we had to do a sex change on him, so he could lead a normal life. when he said that, my brain did backflips trying not to laugh in his face. we did it, he was fine for a few months, and then became coyote bait.

the things they can do for animals now is just mind blowing.

Awwhhh... poor guy, goes through all that, then... :D

That's how we lost our Ragdoll, she got out one night and became an appetizer. My hub was soo happy (I think he let her out) :)

I can tell you love your cat, hope it goes alright. We had a cat that died at 17, she was a stray that decided to live with us. It's hard when you've been with an animal that long.

I'm totally a cat person, so you have my full sympathy. I hope your kitty pulls through. My father inlaw's cat was diagnosed with diabetes a couple of years ago. I didn't realize cats got that, but they do.

Good luck and hang in there!

I didn't realize cats got that, but they do.

See, now I thought the same thing... but I just heard it from a guy who sounded like he had a clue (guess I should have checked it on Snopes! :D). What he was saying was that they don't get it naturally... but when fed foods w/HFCS (high fructose corn syrup), they then developed it. :) Guess it may be something to check into... (I'm not a cat person... extremely allergic)

i have heard good things about this procedure ... wish they would have had it when bonie's thyroid went out - i was one of the lucky one's though cause he responded very well to the tapazole

lived to be 20 1/2 - not bad for a cat that when i found him as a kitten and took him to the vet they told me he would never make it

hope that your cat responds well to the treatment ... will be thinking about yous

hang in there & keep us posted!

My dog was a diabetic and wen had to give him insulin shots...crazy things we do for our pets. Eventually we had to put him down because he was more or less having congestive heart failure :) On his way out we gave him a few reeses peanut butter cups...all the stuff he wasn't supposed to have but to make him happy if even just for a short moment. I'm getting all teary eyed just thinking about it.

Good Luck MXD! We all go to extreme lengths for the ones we love - sounds like you guys have done your research and this is a good option. We look forward to hearing how it all comes out. You've done all you can, now go have a good time on your vacation and let the experts take care of your baby!

Sorry to hear about the kitty. Glad he's got such a high chance!! 95% :)

Have a great vacation!! It'll help to keep your mind preoccupied.

We had two cats when I was little and they kept getting UTI and something crystalized. I don't remember I was 5 or 6. One day they left with my dad in a box and never came back. We didn't have a lot of money, so they just went to sleep...

On his way out we gave him a few reeses peanut butter cups...all the stuff he wasn't supposed to have but to make him happy if even just for a short moment.

That's a great idea. I'll have to remember that when the time comes for our dogs.

My cat,Tiger got that and I didn't do anything about it. I had him for 16 years. Since I lost him I have been depressed as hell. I hope you can get your cat well.

Thanks for the wishes everyone! Here’s an update.

The MRI showed two adenomyomas on his thyroid, one large/established on one side of his gland and a very small one on the other side. Based on his blood work, the disease was still in the early stages. Had my in-laws not decided to meet us at the river for a few days, we never would’ve found any of this (my in-laws baby-sit our cat at their house whenever we travel). Because I had to board him this trip, he had to be current on all his shots. By fluke, I requested a complete blood work up on him and that’s how we found this.

My cat underwent the radioactive treatment as planned. I was happy to hear the procedure is done as a simple injection (not into his gland/neck). No sedation at all (not even for the initial MRI). The radioactive iodine then travels through the bloodstream into the thyroid gland and targets the tumor(s) and that's it!! They called every evening while we were away to let us know how things were going.

I saw my cat briefly last Thursday afternoon after we got home. I went to the hospital to pick him up and transport him to his regular vet for the duration of his radioactive period. The nurse brought him out to me in his carrier and he looked at me and let out this silent meow (which means, get me the hell out of this place). I felt soo bad, I wanted to bring him home! I was only allowed to briefly touch his face. I couldn’t take him out, or hold him and had to remain 3 to 6 feet away from him and could only be in the same room with him for one hour per day. I was then instructed to go wash my hands after touching him. The reason I was taking him to his own vet is because the hospital wanted to charge me $50/75 a day to board him for the next two weeks (duration of his radioactive period), so you can do the math on that one… yikes! Our regular vet offered to take care of our cat for $25 a day and even offered to go get him, how awesome is that!

So off to the vet’s office we went, glow-kitty and me. He had to ride in the far back of my Suburban and my one-hour exposure-limit was ticking. I stopped at Starbuck’s real quick and grabbed a coffee and got one for my vet too (the least I could do for him). Of course, I hit tons of traffic on my way there and nervously watched the clock ticking as I drove. I made it to his office with minutes to spare! When I walked in, the reception area was packed and we were quickly whisked away to the back of the office, bypassing everyone there. This was the last I saw of my cat. Some lady waiting with her dog made a half-ass comment to me as I left, saying the Starbuck’s I brought for the doctor got me special treatment… yeah right.

Technically, my vet is not set up to board a radioactive cat (doesn’t have lead walls, gloves, Geiger counter, etc.). My cat will be kept in a large quarantine area in the back and my vet will be the only one allowed to handle and care for him until September 6th when I can pick him up. I have to say, that I feel pretty darn fortunate to have this vet. It seems in this day and age, there aren’t a lot of people who’d be so willing and gracious to help others in a situation like this. My vet is an interesting guy. He is still on active-military duty down at Camp Pendleton and served as a military vet for dogs overseas during the Gulf War.

Sooo, my glow-kitty is now releasing half-life particles at his office until the 1st week of September. We’re going back to the river either tomorrow, or Monday (yes, back to the same exact place, lol) to enjoy the last week of summer vacation. Once I get my cat home, he’ll have to be retested at 1 month and again at 3 months to make sure the thyroid levels have returned back to normal and… hopefully this will all be a done deal!

OXY ~ Thanks for sharing the info about your little guy. Helpful to hear from someone who has been through the same diagnosis. Sounds like he responded very well on the meds, that’s promising to hear! 20 ½ is pretty darn good, even for a healthy cat. Sorry you have since lost him, but because of the good care you gave, it brought you both many more years together. You have to be very happy with that!

PIT MAN ~ Sorry to hear about your cat, my sympathy to you. It’s been eye-opening to learn how many cats are being diagnosed with this. Not sure if thyroid disease in cat’s has always been a common disorder and technology has just become better in detecting it, or if this is some new form-epidemic for cats being caused from their food/diet, or who knows what. These new treatments are promising and I’m sorry your cat wasn’t able to try something like this to help him.

IROC ~ Sorry about your dog =(

NUN ~ Here’s some info on diabetes in cats that you might find interesting (even though it’s your in-laws cat).

A little history on the vet who treated my mom’s diabetic cat (my cat’s bro): She was not only vet, but is also an attorney who formulated and holds the patent for Science Diet for cats. She also raises Ocecat’s (pronounced Ocicat) and is often feature in Cat Fancy Mag.

She has since gone against her own patent, as her further research showed that feline diabetes is on the increase due to the foods we’re feeding our cats. In the recent years, she wrote several articles on this subject, which has appeared in med journals, magazines and newspapers. Since writing on this subject, she has received a lot of flack from the pet food industry and other vets in the community. She often travels to Washington DC and is involved in regulatory issues in the pet food industry. I have found her to be quite brilliant!

She feels strongly that cats being carnivores should be on a carnivore-friendly diet, which many of the commercial foods are not. She said that just about every thing on the market was promoting an increase in feline diabetes, as most of the foods are made with nothing but carbs, basically junk food with meat fillers. She said most of the marketed canned foods for pets are the equivalent of you and I living on a bag of potato chips (because of all the carbs in the food). Cats don’t typically eat corn, carrots and peas (which are in most canned foods if you read the labels). She doesn’t use, or promote Science Diet at her practice anymore. Iams is another one on her bad list. She said the best thing for a cat is a raw meat diet (like a cat would normally eat in the wild and NO beef). Whether inconvenience, or $$, not everyone can, or enjoys preparing/serving their cat a raw meat diet. For those who chose not to do raw meat, she recommends Fancy Feast, or Royal Canine as the better canned food choices to use (they were a few others, but I can’t remember which ones), and of course the foods which are formulated strictly for diabetic cats. She also said if using canned food, DON’T use beef for cats, as a cat wouldn’t kill a cow in the wild to eat it.

85% of her diabetic cats (patients) were able to lower their insulin requirements and some were able to come off their insulin entirely ~ all controlled through good dietary changes (like people with Type II diabetes can often control their disease through diet/exercise). Some cats cannot be removed from insulin, usually because they’re too advanced in their disease and have too much damage to their pancreas. Unfortunately, by the time we found this vet, my mom’s cat was also too far gone in his disease. However, she was successful in lowering the amount of insulin units he needed through diet and by switching his insulin to another type (one that is not normally used through vets, can’t remember if it was cow, or pig insulin), but it worked well for him, he required less, which saved my mom hundreds of dollars and spared her cat from additional painful injections throughout the years. My mom’s cat (my cat’s bro), died 3 weeks ago, almost 16), which is a pretty decent age for an insulin-dependent cat.

My cat whether a predisposition for diabetes or not, has had higher than normal blood sugar ranges, but not diabetic. Through his diet, I’ve kept his blood sugars between 140 - 180. We are what we eat and the same goes for our pets. I think it’s made a huge difference for my cat who comes from an over bred line of cats with inherited genetic disorders.

Her practice here in CA is called, All About Cats Health and Wellness Center in Yorba Linda, and her name is Elizabeth Hodgkins, DVM. She is an expert in feline diabetes. She may have helpful diabetes info on her website if anyone ever needs.

Anyway, thanks again for all the wishes. Hope everyone enjoys this last week of summer and I'll update again when we get home. =)

Don't quote me on this... but I believe it was prior to WWII there was no pet food industry (and maybe it was WWI... like I said, don't quote me, as I'm digging this up from the ol' memory banks). When the service men came back from the war, they were tired of MRI's and wanted BEEF! MEAT! Basically they wanted real food. Because of the increase in meat consumption, there was an increase in by-products. Someone came up with the brilliant idea of grinding up all those by-products (skin, bone, fat, tendons, organs, tumors), cooking it, mixing it with ground up other by-products (like corn cobs - some foods when they say 'corn' don't mean kernels of corn), cooking it, and extruding it into little kibbles. Because your pet didn't like the smell of these little kibbles they were sprayed with rancid, used restaurant grease to make them smell tasty.

Prior to that, pets ate table scraps (EGAD, don't feed your dog table scraps! Ol' Roy is the way to go! Sound familiar?), meat trimmings, raw meaty bones, leftovers that had gone 'off', etc. Pets were also healthier. Yes, on table scraps that it has been pounded into our heads NOT to feed our pets. Who pounded it? The pet food industry who had the 'perfect' product.

Don't quote me on this... but I believe it was prior to WWII there was no pet food industry (and maybe it was WWI... like I said, don't quote me, as I'm digging this up from the ol' memory banks). When the service men came back from the war, they were tired of MRI's and wanted BEEF! MEAT! Basically they wanted real food. Because of the increase in meat consumption, there was an increase in by-products. Someone came up with the brilliant idea of grinding up all those by-products (skin, bone, fat, tendons, organs, tumors), cooking it, mixing it with ground up other by-products (like corn cobs - some foods when they say 'corn' don't mean kernels of corn), cooking it, and extruding it into little kibbles. Because your pet didn't like the smell of these little kibbles they were sprayed with rancid, used restaurant grease to make them smell tasty.

Prior to that, pets ate table scraps (EGAD, don't feed your dog table scraps! Ol' Roy is the way to go! Sound familiar?), meat trimmings, raw meaty bones, leftovers that had gone 'off', etc. Pets were also healthier. Yes, on table scraps that it has been pounded into our heads NOT to feed our pets. Who pounded it? The pet food industry who had the 'perfect' product.

I think after/before the war came the induction of that yummy stuff called, Spam 👍

No kidding on the scraps, never met a dog that got sick and died from too many. As for ALL fillers they put in the food, I'd love to talk to the person in the pet food industry who thinks my cat likes his peas and carrots! LOL

Well, here's my sweet 16 year old. He's been nuked, sat in a cage for over 2 weeks, was Geigered and cleared and is VERY happy to be back home. He goes back in 1 month and again at 3 months for labs to make sure the radiation worked. He seems so much better already. Now, I have a sick fish. It never ends, lol.

http://i186.photobucket.com/albums/x164/mxdirtdiva/bodie8-08.jpg[/img]"]bodie8-08.jpg

http://i186.photobucket.com/albums/x164/mxdirtdiva/IMG_1686-1-1.jpg[/img]"]IMG_1686-1-1.jpg

I..No kidding on the scraps, never met a dog that got sick and died from too many. As for ALL fillers they put in the food, I'd love to talk to the person in the pet food industry who thinks my cat likes his peas and carrots! LOL

I've never understood the reasoning behind all of the dog food stuff. "Oh no. You should ONLY feed your dog dog food. It's the only thing healthy for him."

WHAT??!!! Have you READ the label on that baby???!!! It's super duper PROCESSED people food!!! Table scraps!!! How is processed food BETTER for your dog??!!!

It is CHEEPER to feed your dog/cat processed animal food. I seriouly doubt it's better for them.

Craziness.

Pete's aunt and grandma breed poodles and snauzers. They never get dog food. They even have a veggie day. The dogs love it and they've NEVER had any dental problems or need to go in for a cleaning. 'Course they RAISE cattle and rabbits for the dogs enjoyment so there's definitly a level of commitment there in having enough to feed them all.