Sign in to follow this  

Here we go again!!!!!!!!!!!

Well my right fork is leaking AGAIN. I looked at it and i have 3 REALY BIG nicks in the tube. So it looks like i am going to have to replace it AGAIN. I dont understand why this keeps happanying. I had the bike for 1 1/2 years now and this is going to be at lease the 10th set of seals and 2nd lower tube. Does this happen to anyone else? What can i do to fix it? I spoke to Race Tech and they said i can get the tubes coted and that shouild help. Well thats $200+ eatch tube then $208 Each foe\r new tubes then new seals and labor. This is getting realy expensive.

Must be a lot of rocks where you live. In the last 7 years I've never had so much as a scratch. Now that I've said that i'll get one next weekend:crazy: .

you are replacing the bushings right?>

Also, wheel alignment/fork alignment is critical to seal life.

So, while I don't want to type it right now...if someone else wants to....go through the proper installation of the front wheel.

Just get out your hunting knife sharpening stone and swirl away those nicks then through in a new seal. Done:ride:

2 hours max, you will be riding this Sunday:ride: Remember, your tube can have a little reccess but not a protrusion and you won`t leak fluid(example , vintage machines with rust removed from the "stanchions" or fork tubes). Lets go get on it!! Clocks a ticken. . . . . . . . . . . .

Next!

You've answered your own question as to the "why". You're in Arizona, there's rocks all over. I have to explain this on a daily basis to customers. Some people come in with forks that look like they've been riding for days in a gravel pit. Maybe they've just been riding SpeedWorld - basically the same thing.

Also, the coating that RT talks about.....I'm sure they mean DLC....it DOES NOT make the tubes less prone to rock damage. However, it has been my experience that when a rock does hit the tube, it doesn't seem to create a sharp edged divot like the bare chrome.

you are replacing the bushings right?>

Also, wheel alignment/fork alignment is critical to seal life.

So, while I don't want to type it right now...if someone else wants to....go through the proper installation of the front wheel.

Yes my bushings were replaced and still in great shape. Also thats a good point about alignment but i do but the wheel/fork alignment every time.

Just get out your hunting knife sharpening stone and swirl away those nicks then through in a new seal. Done:ride:

2 hours max, you will be riding this Sunday:ride: Remember, your tube can have a little reccess but not a protrusion and you won`t leak fluid(example , vintage machines with rust removed from the "stanchions" or fork tubes). Lets go get on it!! Clocks a ticken. . . . . . . . . . . .

Next!

Thats what im going. Dont know how long they are going to last thow,LOL

You've answered your own question as to the "why". You're in Arizona, there's rocks all over. I have to explain this on a daily basis to customers. Some people come in with forks that look like they've been riding for days in a gravel pit. Maybe they've just been riding SpeedWorld - basically the same thing.

Also, the coating that RT talks about.....I'm sure they mean DLC....it DOES NOT make the tubes less prone to rock damage. However, it has been my experience that when a rock does hit the tube, it doesn't seem to create a sharp edged divot like the bare chrome.

I know that but its weard because i ride with alot of people and thay never have this problum, it seems like its only me and my other bike does not get nicks. Its just very fustrating:foul: :)

i use to have neoprenes on my inner tubes and that protects them pretty good