Sign in to follow this  

still puzzled by the 06 backfireing

so i took the head back off of the bike, filled it with water and dried th valve faces off to see if it leaked at all.....not a drop, so i am guessing my valves are not the problem since they are sealing. I did however see two shiny places on the head near the exhaust valves that look like the bike has been backfireing out of the exhaust valves which would explain my poping and backfireing noise. I checked to see if the decompressor was working and its working perfect, then i thought maybe there was a chance in hell that the thing that holds your sprocket on the exhaust cam might have spun a little bit and was putting the bike out of time....it was fine. Does ANYONE have any other ideas that would explain my bike poping and backfireing through the exhaust valves?

the poping and backfiring started after i rebuilt it. I ran great before the rebuild, and it ran great the day that i broke it in. It started poping alittle at the end of the day that i broke it in and just got worse and worse both times i rode it after that. I put a new sopper seal on the exhaust to make sure it was sealed and it helped a little but did not cure the problem. The bike is backfireing and poping when it decelerates. It was doing it when i reved it up to but that copper seal helped that a tad. Could it be bad packing in my exhaust?

Once when I put my top end back together I got the timing chain off by 1-2 teeth and it backfired on decel. It sounded kind of like when the fuel screw is too lean but I could not make it go away by adjusting the screw. It was puzzling because the bike started on the first or second kick but it seemed a bit down on power though. Double check that the chain and both gears are aligned perfectly when the cam chain tensioner is installed and loading the chain. I found that when you install the chain and it has no tension, you may end up being off a tooth or 2 once the tensioner tightens things up.

i might have found something but im not sure. I have a stainless power bomb header. I was inspecting it today and found a piece that seems to be loose. At the end of the pipe where it meets the head fmf pressed two pieces together. Where the end piece and the main piece of pipe come together seems to be lose, could this be sucking air and causing my problem? Would that explain why there is obvious backfireing on the exhaust valves?

i might have found something but im not sure. I have a stainless power bomb header. I was inspecting it today and found a piece that seems to be loose. At the end of the pipe where it meets the head fmf pressed two pieces together. Where the end piece and the main piece of pipe come together seems to be lose, could this be sucking air and causing my problem? Would that explain why there is obvious backfireing on the exhaust valves?

Most definately! Any air leak will cause backfire on decel. You bike is pulling extra air into the system, leaning the entire system. Get it fixed and it will go away...:)

My bike back fires as well But I found the problem when I had my really bad wreck I bent the subframe and it caused a little leak where my pipes meet, hence the air leak wich in turn is making it back fire.