Sign in to follow this  

A real puzzle... (I thought I knew it all... lol)

hahahahaaa thats great... way to use what you got!

Let us know what you figure out!

hahahahaaa thats great... way to use what you got!

Let us know what you figure out!

I will. It could take a while though. Everytime I need something I have to order n wait a week. I was hoping Eddie woulda pointed out some "known issue" with those 32mm roundslides or something. 👍

I guess the plan now is to try out a 6DH3 needle. That seems to work for guys that post their VM32 "tunes" online. We'll see....

Ok, I said I would post back, so....

The solution is a 3.0 slide with a 6DH3 needle in a 159 Q-6 needle-jet with a 2.0 airjet and #15 pilot with a 250 main. Turns out the bleed type needle jet is no good for low vacuum situations. That's the lesson I've learned here.

I can peg the throttle in top gear from a dead stop and it will just take off and eventually rev out. It will wheelie, runs out strong, no misses, bogs, or hesitations at any throttle opening... and the spark plug looks good.

The only part that might need some refinement is the airjet or maybe some slide grinding... but it runs good enough and isn't worth the effort. I'm proclaiming this job done. :D

well, congrats to getting it running good! (even though its a quad...) How long did it take to figure it all out?

well, congrats to getting it running good! (even though its a quad...) How long did it take to figure it all out?

Well, not too long once I had a selection of parts handy and a "will to win".

I'd say about 3 or 4 days of setting the gas tank on the ground... Maybe 2 hrs per day.

I had 2 slides to work with...

12.5, 15, 20, 25, 35 pilot jets... so that's 5 of those...

2 needle-jets...

5 needles...

3 air-jets...

and 160, 170, 180, 200, 240, 250, 300, 310, 330 main-jets... 9 total.

That's 2x5x2x5x3x9 = 2700 combinations! :D I'm sure I didn't try ALL of them... Common sense ruled out a lot of combos, but it was still a fair amount of work. At least its something to take pride in and I learned a lot.

The thing that kept throwing me off was that mikuni said the bleed type of needle-jet is for 4-strokes. So, I paid too much attention trying to get the bleed type to work. What mikuni SHOULD have said is the bleed type is for higher vacuum situations and the primary type is for lower vacuum needs. Understanding that concept would have made this much easier.

Nice! I'm glad that you figured it out. Sounds like quite a journey, but determination pays.

I've definitely learned stuff about jetting from this.

Enjoy your machine!

That's 2x5x2x5x3x9 = 2700 combinations! :worthy: I'm sure I didn't try ALL of them... Common sense ruled out a lot of combos, but it was still a fair amount of work. At least its something to take pride in and I learned a lot.

hahhaaa:lol: :D

smater than the average bear...