Sign in to follow this  

If I just drain oil from crankcase.....

I need to replace the water pump assembly. But the oil in the bike is new and clean, and I hate to throw it out.

If I just drain the oil from the crankcase, will the oil in the frame stay in the frame? Or do I have to drain it too?

Or.....how much of a mess if I do not drain the oil, lay the bike down on the left side, and remove the right crankcase cover??

Don't cheap out now. Oil ain't cheap,but it ain't that expensive.

Fun stuff, huh. I just changed the oil after our trip to Flagstaff. Ordered the MCCT and after installing it...:) Cam chain was stretched. 2 qts of clean oil are now in my recycle can.:worthy:

But; I now have all the lock tight mods done, new cam chain, MCCT, valves in spec., fresh anti-freeze, and fresh oil.:D $10 extra seems insignificant in the scheme of things.

does oil become stale when it is exposed to air?

I could go either way on this. There is no reason to throw away the oil

We're talking 1 quart at most. Even with really really expensive oil, we're not talking much.

So take your pick

trying to save a few quarts of oil is not worth the risk of contamination during the transfers. if you already got a new pump whats a few bills in oil?

does oil become stale when it is exposed to air?

No,but it will pick up dirt and bugs and crap if left in an open container. Add the contaminates that will get in during the job and it isn't worth the risk. Refill with an inexpensive oil and drain it again in a few miles to get the cross contaminates and other crud from working on it out of the engine.

Better safe than sorry look'n.

Harry you probably could save the oil, but I would be more worried about getting coolant contamination.

Personally I would drain the case, change the pump out, poor the oil back, and then after a test run change the oil to flush any drops of coolant out.

Neil. :):D:worthy:

No,but it will pick up dirt and bugs and crap if left in an open container.

if you're worried about it, then seal it

Add the contaminates that will get in during the job and it isn't worth the risk.

How would that change if you put in fresh oil? Seems you are arguing the better position is use the old oil then change the oil after running it

Again, I don't see much real argument for either direction. When it doesnt' really matter, you pick the one that makes you feel better

if you're worried about it, then seal it

How would that change if you put in fresh oil? Seems you are arguing the better position is use the old oil then change the oil after running it

Again, I don't see much real argument for either direction. When it doesnt' really matter, you pick the one that makes you feel better

All I'm saying is that if it is the least little bit contaminated it ain't going in my bike. Never get any dirt off the frame or engine in the drain pan when you change your oil?

All I'm saying is that if it is the least little bit contaminated it ain't going in my bike. Never get any dirt off the frame or engine in the drain pan when you change your oil?

If I don't plan on reusing the oil, then I wouldn't care. But as a general rule, any time you open up an engine, you clean the area first if you're smart

Even if you do get some impossible to prevent microscopic contamination invisible to the eye, or you are simply very sloppy (with fresh oil or otherwise) the system is designed to deal with it. Of course you don't go out of your way to contaminate the system, but we're not talking about open heart surgery.

Otherwise, there would be no need for an oil filter or pickup screen

This is the "what if" game. I have no doubt you can think up an example that would be problematic if you think hard enough, but that doesn't make it a realistic issue. The base point is, if the oil was fine before you took it out, and assuming you aren't completely idiotic in how you handle it, it will be the exact same stuff after you put it back in.

Well I think the coolant may have a good chance at getting into the oil when pulling the cover. An oil filter wont filter out antifreeze, and thats not good to have in the oil.

I'd drain the coolant, lay the bike on its side, change water pump, reseal it back up, then do an oil change. Expensive oil is 13 bucks a quart at most, is it worth 26 bucks to contaminate the oil and possibly screw something up in the engine?

OK guys, thanks. What I'm hearing, and what I will do, is to leave the oil in, do the water pump replacement, run the bike, then change to oil to remove any coolant that might have gotten into the crankcase. Sounds good to me! :)

I'd just use new oil to avoid the hassle of collecting and preserving a couple quarts of oil. The used stuff I'd just dump in the fuel tank of my Cummins equipped truck!